Considering Central Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wild wild west, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Jabber1990

Jabber1990 Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    I SAID TRUCKS. I don't care about the trailers, trailers are nameless and for the most part anonymous I've seen mismatched truck/trailer combinations. but if you want to argue I've always been told Central is the reefer division of Swift, but I've seen Swift reefers so i'm confused.

they are central trucks, they still have Central written on them (and yes Swift in a smaller font on the side) and are using the same number system Central uses on their trucks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stroker73

Stroker73 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    When swift took over central, there were and still are a lot of central lease op drivers. Swift just simply added a "C" to the front of the central truck number and added "operated by swift" decals to the side of the truck. The " C" was added to the truck number cuz some of Centrals truck numbers he'd duplicates in the swift fleet.
    All central drivers are now swift drivers running swifts qualcomms and everything. Central trucks and trailers are being rotated out of the fleet as those leases terminate. I know, I was there during the takeover last year. Still am, but running swift dedicated lanes. I swore I would never be a swiftie, yet here we are. Oh well, never say never. There are a lot of good drivers here, but like any mega fleet cranking out newbies every week, there are also a lot of f****king morons too.

4. Jabber1990

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    I heard a rumor that after the takeover they cut the pay of the company drivers and the owner-ops, is that true?

5. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    RIP Dick Simon Trucking

123456 Thanks this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Well, there you go ...

IH Truck Guy Thanks this.
  7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    It would not surprise me if the Central Refrigerated recruiting office out of Salt Lake City UT becomes a thing of the past, or simply becomes either another terminal for Swift, or a reefer terminal or warehouse for Swift.

8. Jabber1990

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    does the Terminal in Rochelle still say "central" on it? they were either working on the sign or had the sign installed shortly before I was fired. I haven't been past there yet to get a look. According to Google Street View its a Chevy Dealership, but according to Google Maps its a Central Terminal (those are obviously reefers)

maybe Salt Lake City, Rochelle, Conley, Fontanta could be where the Reefer planners are? of course they also come with the full perks and everything of being terminals (shop, saftey, etc)

9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    wild wild west,

I REALLY like your signature. I only wish that I had thought of it 1st.. It fits my situation and willingness to drive almost to a tee. I would be somewhat hesitant to drive into Mexico.

no wife, kids, pets, house, or parents (both deceased), no child support payments
    [​IMG]
    willing to drive, pick up, & deliver to all 48 states, Canada, Alaska, & Mexico

10. Stroker73

Oct 8, 2011
    Idont know for sure about that, but from what I heard, central drivers were making more cpm than the swift drivers with the same ex. level. The central drivers kept there pay rate, but due to the massive bungling of the transition from central to swift and swifts tendencies to micro management, using a big stick instead of the carrot as a persuasion tool, a very large percentage of central drivers quit and went elsewhere.

11. Stroker73

Oct 8, 2011
    Close. Swift closed their SLC terminal and moved in to Centrals. Centrals terminal was bigger with room for expansion. Central has been fully absorbed by Swift. Recruiting is alive and well but staffed by Swift. All the central recruiters are gone as well as safety and payroll. Payroll was actually moved to the Phoenix HQ and Im not sure how much other. Training staff is gone and replaced by Swift people. A previously undeveloped area at the far end of the site has been paved and when I walked down there to look at it I was underwhelmed by the huge number of red tagged swift trailers. I've seen that many trailers in one place before, but these were all red tagged.:biggrin_25510:
    im sure there is a lot more happened than I know about. I try to stay out of that main building as much as possible, but curiosity got the better of me a couple times. Usually only go in there when I need to talk to DM about something I don't want to put out over Qualcomm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.