Considering Central Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wild wild west, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Jabber1990

Jabber1990 Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    I thought I read on here that O/O's went from $1.08/mi to $.88/mi

I won't say how much I got paid with Central (because you won't believe me) but I assume I was terminated because its cheaper and easier for Swift to bring in their own people and hire their own people (I must have not gotten too fired, since Swift has tried to hire me back twice)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Cargo Express trucks say Cargo Express, yet they're 100% Navajo... Navajo drivers can be assigned to Cargo Express trucks... well, because there are no Cargo Express drivers anymore. They're all Navajo. Probably more the same with Swift... are these "Central" trucks running a separate USDOT and ICC/MC number, or are they using the same one as Swift? If the latter, it's probably a mere matter of Swift not wanting to take the time to rebadge the trucks, and deciding to just keep the Central livery until those trucks are phased out of service (much as Navajo is doing with the Cargo Express trucks).

4. irish127

irish127 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2015
    If your moving to salt lake talk to Navajo express. I work for them and they have a terminal in salt lake. Looking for dedicated drivers to deliver to Costco in idaho Montana and Colorado. You will get home every other day if you live in salt lake. And always take you 34hr reset at home. I highly recommend Navajo. They also have plenty of OTR

5. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    I see that you are from the Midwest, if you want to stay there you could find out if Central is hiring in your area, they have been running adds in the Milwaukee area, my.02 worth...

6. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Nope. Swift had a major pay increase last fall, and another is scheduled in the next few months.

Central drivers had their rate grandfathered in at the merge, but most (if not all) saw a raise, and are now on the Swift scale.

That's for company drivers. I don't know what the lease ops are getting.

The older Swift reefers were for dedicated accounts; typically Walmart. All the new ones, of course, have Swift graphics.

Swift isn't a bad company to work for. The pay is now competitive, most of the tractors are less than four years old, and they're working on the trailers. (Most of them are 2008 or newer.) Get a reputation with the planners as a hard runner, and you won't be hurting for miles. My only complaint is the lack of APUs and inverters.

Statistically, about 2% of any large group are morons. Swift has around 17,000 drivers. Do the math. That leaves quite a few people to show up on the news...

7. Jabber1990

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    By your own admission there are 17,000 drivers, and there are at least 16,000 Trucks so they can't affordable to put APUs on all their trucks. It's also an added expense

Also a 400lb APU is 400lbs of freight they can't haul.

8. Snowshoes

Snowshoes Heavy Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    My terminal is right down the road, that is all it is now, another Swift terminal.

9. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Long load/unload times and whiny flatbeds at the truck stop.

Mikeeeee

10. CREASEY TRANS

CREASEY TRANS Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2015
    wouldn't do central ref which is part of swift now also if you do look out for them to try to get you to do lease theres a big lawsuit against them that's why they sold to swift thinking that would stop lawsuit but it didnt but same guy still owns central and central ref was dick simon doing buss as central ref so be fare warned

11. Jabber1990

Jan 10, 2013
    Jackson, MO
    And why is there a lawsuit?

CREASEY TRANS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.