Considering getting my CDL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by njcrackbaby, Sep 17, 2019.

1. njcrackbaby

njcrackbaby Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Forgive me as I posted this on r/truckers a couple days ago but figured I’d get more feedback here:

I’m currently out of work, have no skills/college degree and am moving back in with my mom in NJ at the end of the month. I need to figure something out. Driving for a living is something I’ve always considered. I find driving to be therapeutic plus I have interest in cars and trucks. but I’m not sure if I’m cut out for long haul trucking (living on the road). I think I would enjoy it but would get lonely/depressing. Is there anywhere that has paid training that is not for an OTR job? Otherwise I would consider going OTR for a year or two. Also, Does any one know of any good paid CDL training in the central NJ area?

Also I have 6 points on my license, is this going to severely limit which schools would accept me?

I’ve already applied to Swift and was accepted to start training with them, they pay for the flight/hotel at training too. I don’t hear great things about swift, are there any other mega companies that have a similar deal (paid training) that would accept me with my driving record?

All feedback is appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    @Chinatown china should be along shortly to give you some guidance good luck to you

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well first, driving a truck is not therapeutic.

i honestly cannot think of any company that pays for training, that does not send you OTR.

you might qualify for free or reduced training, thru your state unemployment office, so check there, on thier website.

the points on your current license may not hinder you for getting training, but it might be a road block to get a job after you graduate.

what you will need to remember is that if you do get a CDL, any vehicle you drive, will count against you with tickets, accidents, etc, so DRIVE CAREFULLY at all times.

good luck to you.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Savor the Flavor and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    6 points !!!!!! Don’t waste your time. Being straight up. Second chance companies might consider 2 or 3, but 6 !!!!!!

Try Walmart greeter or flipping burgers. Sorry....

buddyd157 and Iowa80 Thank this.
  6. njcrackbaby

njcrackbaby Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2019
    Only 2 within the last 3 years though. 4 from 2014-15.

So you think a company like Swift could be my only option?

7. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    The great @Chinatown May bless you with some gems but what were the points for?
    And honestly you have to love the job. by that I mean love the learning process of what it is to be a professional driver. I find in this industry you often just need that chance and have to be ready for it. If you can’t get nobody to take you on try swift and just put your head down for a year. But has to be a clean year. Experience is king. You can always ask and there may be some yes’s out there but the more time you have behind that wheel the more it opens up

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Saw a local job in Bordentown with Genesis Logistics. Home daily & will assist getting a cdl.

9. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    If Swift has accepted you I would strongly consider going forward with them. They don't have a good reputation as a long term employer but I hear good things about their training.

Once you've filled your contracted time with them you can move on to greener pastures.

bryan21384 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Agree on that.

G13Tomcat and meechyaboy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The main thing is STOP breaking laws to get tickets.

I had 7 points once would have been 8 and suspended in Maryland (And that was a full Class A that month and year...)

I was not OTR for 3 years. I was involved with blacktop paving on one hand with a dumptruck and was involved with a couple of other side work as the crow flies until the Driving records Stopped having anything on them.

The day I was clean and virgin again Arkansas had me on the bus with a truck waiting after three days of blessed orientation. I would always owe him a debt of graditute among other things for providing me a wonderful futue here in my adopted home state.

The main thing was to GET OUT of the east coast and stop it with all those tickets.

Here in the south there are things FAR worse than just simple tickets.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.