Considering ND Oil fields

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by WesternPlains, May 29, 2019.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Asking your thoughts. I’m considering ND oil.
    Focus is to get money to buy a truck.

I live in the Black Hills of SD.
    Have been doing reefer madness for 5 months. OTR...48states.
    Did pneumatic tanker for a year. Regional.
    Also drove a dumpster trash truck in The Hills for 7 years. Class B.

I admit. I really love my job. Have all sorts of stuff in this truck. A cat. George Foreman grill. Fly Fishing rod. One year non resident fishing license for Montana.
    I like the odd hours. 7 days a week. Take little home time. Haven’t been home since second week in March. I admit I do it fine. But don’t like a daily grind.

I know ND. It’s bad during winter. Know what I’m getting into there.
    Own my home in SD. About a 5 hour drive to Dickinson.
    Just wondering on thoughts?
    Maybe should stay where I’m at? Pay isn’t bad. Do really like my life OTR. Don’t have no family.
    I’m thinking maybe make money to buy truck. Then lease on with somebody like Landstar. But then... the oil fields and home time I might like? (If I go crazy )

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    You should know. I used to work a very high paying job testing electrical apparatus. Yes the biggest there is. Six figure income in 98. Last time I checked with those guys. In 07 they were making a quarter million a year. But they have no life. It’s extremely demanding on time. Almost killed me with diabetes. Caused weight loss. No treatment.

What I do now is soft core out of town. It’s easy to me. Have everything to make this truck home away from home. It’s always with me. Food, French Press for coffee... I even have a $2k, purple3 mattress in this truck. I sleep well.

I do wonder if the oil fields will get to me. Much like my previous career. Doesn’t look as bad. But?
    I admit. I am much smarter now on taking care of myself. Have had my A1C down to 5.9. Could do better.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  4. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    You're kind of all over the road with the questions and I'm not sure what to answer

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Most volatile trucking business.

6. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Stay where your at.
    You seem happy there.
    You ain't missing nothing in the oilfields.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  7. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I was just trying to provide my big picture.

One) Am I personally better off where I’m at?
    I’ll re ask others.

8. LDLWells

Jan 14, 2019
    I'm not sure anyone can answer that. I love the oilfield and prefer winter in ND. It's my idea of fun.

I'm flying out tomorrow but I'm hitting a job fair in Williston to see what the market looks like for drivers. Do you want to just straight drive? Work on a rig? Frac crew? Hell the local concrete company is offering $28/hr, $50 a day per diem, plus housing

rabbiporkchop, CJ701 and WesternPlains Thank this.
  9. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    You prefer winter in ND...:rolleyes:
    You obviously forgot to take your medication. :)

I’m interested in driving. Water, sand, or crude. Could step right into pneumatic tanker sand. Have no real preference at this point.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  10. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I know people from up there. Told me at the height of the oil boom in 12. Had to pay $20 an hour just to get somebody to flip hamburgers.

rabbiporkchop and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  11. LDLWells

Jan 14, 2019
    Winter is awesome here. There's no mud (I run at night), no thunderstorms, and not that much traffic. Frost laws ended today and we've been running wild during that time.

Here's the deal right now. Sand it's going to be the easiest. I've seen three unique sand haulers up here. There's the old pneumatic cans that everyone knows and hates. The boxes like Sandbox, PropX, and Liberty have been using. And then I've seen a site using grain haulers to bring in sand. The boxes are the easiest and most guys only have to get out of the truck to close the lid after loading. Never have to worry about being overweight either.

Next easiest is crude hauling. It's fairly straightforward. Most places don't even require you to climb tanks anymore. I've not climbed a tank in three years.

After that is water. You can make a lot of money hauling water with very little oversight. But you will work for it. There's a disposal on practically every corner now. Those guys that can work the system do well. One guy last week did 16 loads in a 14 hour shift. I don't have water rates on me but it was a lucrative night

Fratsit and CJ701 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.