Considering obtaining my brokers license

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by believe456, May 21, 2017.

1. believe456

believe456 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    hi guys don't bash me. I'm thinking about trying to obtain my brokers license. I currently drive trucks now (someone else's, doing port work) but I just like to know all aspects of the industry. If anyone can point me into an iformation website or link that would be great. One guy I talked to wants 800 bucks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. believe456

Apr 22, 2015
    That is what I'm looking for. But I see it cost 700$ so I'm guessing it's no free informative sites.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You can try honing your broker skills right out of the chute and call those companies up who are charging $700 and see if you can beat them down to $350 instead ;-)

5. Highway_Executive

Highway_Executive Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Chicago
    Just sent you a PM

6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    You want to get a job at a freight brokerage and get paid to learn. Anyone offering to teach you to be a freight broker for 800 bucks is a scammer.

EDIT: Like seriously dude being a freight broker isn't exactly easy. To start with you'll need elite phone skills. Have you spent a significant portion of your career in sales or call centers? If no this very likely won't work for you. Then you need to be very hard working and very responsible, the kind of person who will answer his phone at 2am because some driver wants an advance for a lumper and then bang out 100 mostly effective cold calls the next day.

And the best practices and operations aren't that simple either. Even if you have all of the above you STILL want to go somewhere they are actually doing this kind of work and get them to pay you to learn everything you need to know. Nobody is selling that stuff for 800 bucks. I have a trainee manual (written by yours truly) in my office. I wouldn't allow a copy to be made of it for 5,000 dollars. That thing could get out to somewhere like TQL and get passed around and it would absolutely ruin my entire business.

The only way to get what I (or any other successful broker) knows is to get hired by us, sign a noncompete, and pay your dues. Anyone pitching an easier road is trying to steal from you.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. Highway_Executive

Highway_Executive Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Chicago
    $800? that's cheap. Seen some as high as $2400 lol. But on a serious note. good post.

8. believe456

Apr 22, 2015
    Thanks for all the info. You said all that to basically say no one will teach you for free right?

chozenwoman Thanks this.
  9. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    They'll pay you to learn. These jobs they would be offering you generally pay 30-50k a year to start, and the top 10% of brokers make 100k+ a year. If they are a close friend or family member they might teach you for free... But nearly everyone will be hiring you, having you sign a noncompete, and then hopefully profiting off of you for years to come. That close friend or family member had better be letting you operate under their MC and bond as well, because nobody is going to let you sign on as an independent agent without 1-2 years of proven experience as a broker and an already built book of business.

Being a freight broker (a good one.. there are obviously tons and tons of crappy brokers at some point in the failure cycle at any given time who don't count in my opinion... basically anyone posting in the brokers group on facebook and anyone who looks like them lol) is a pretty serious job. It has a career track that people have to generally follow if they want in. Paying for 'freight broker school' isn't part of it, and it never will be. The work itself just doesn't lend itself to classroom instruction at all. It's kind of like asking if you can go to commodity trading school. No you can't. There are TONS of people who will offer to sell it to you, but none of those people are in the industry they are claiming to help you into. They are in the fraud business.

They know that this business has very low barriers to entry. Freight brokerage is one of the last industries that a smart person with a little bit of charm can break into without a college degree. There is no certification, there is no license required (I'm not talking about getting your own authority here, I'm talking about having to have a specific degree/license to do the work), and basically anybody can call themselves a 'freight broker'. This also means that anyone can call themselves a 'freight broker trainer' without having to have any kind of accreditation at all.

From a scammers perspective it's hard to think of a better product. You're selling poor people without any qualifications dreams of something better for any amount of money you think they can cough up. And it's not even a crime! The reality is that the majority of blood sucking scammers in this world aren't even breaking the law. Doesn't mean I can't call them what they are.

Incidentally the low barriers to entry are a huge part of why all of you hate freight brokers so ###### much. Had a bad experience with a freight broker? I'd bet they are either a brand new baby broker at some big shop... (AKA a ####ty 20 something year old with delusions of grandeur in the process of failing out of their first real job) or some shady dude/dudette who you had a bad feeling about but hopped into bed with because the rate was good. The underbelly of this industry is, and has always been, pretty dark...

Or you could have been wronged by a veteran broker who knows what he's doing... But given that those people tend to care about their reputation I'd bet that there are two sides to that particular story.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Brokering freight isn't all that hard. You just need to learn one liners like this:

Hey, can you work with me on this rate?

Well, how much do you need on the load?

There's three offers already in that are lower than yours.

I'm giving you all there is on this load.

We're not making anything at this rate.

No problem, the pick up/delivery is first come, first serve.

I'll take care of you on the next one.

I forgot to mention, there's an extra pick/drop on this load.

The check is in the mail!

This is not an exhaustive list of a broker's vernacular. However, master these basics and you'll be well on your way! ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.