Considering Prime, Sell me

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Kapgun, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Kapgun

Kapgun Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I'm considering going to Prime for the CDL training program. I'm 28 married and have 2 children ages four and nine. I live in the Tampa area of Florida and jobs here are very slim. I'm wanting to acquire a CDL and hopefully get a local job working for a local company after my year is up.

What are the pros and cons of working and doing this program?
    What kind of money can I expect? how long can I expect to be OTR? Where can I drop my truck at, or can I take it home? How will I be treated?

Is this going to be something I will regret doing???

all info on this subject will help greatly, thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Horizon Rider

Horizon Rider Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Florence, KY
    I found the best information on the program on truckingtruth.com and from reading the threads from the great folks here. Starting pay at prime is 600 per week minimum or 12c per mile for anything over 5,000 miles while you are out training once you get your cdl. before you get hired on they will give you a 200$ a week advance that you can use as you see fit, or if you don't need it you don't have to take it. When out on the road for your training, expect to be gone between 4-6 weeks, after you go solo minimum out time is 3 weeks, and max home time is 4 days, you earn 1 day for every week you are otr. these are just some of the basics, but you can get a full rundown on truckingtruth.com on how they're schooling works. hope this helps, and good luck in your endeavors!

4to18 and 123456 Thank this.
  4. MONT74

MONT74 Heavy Load Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Read some threqds, all your questions will be answered. Horizon Rider did a great job giving basic details.

silenteagle and Horizon Rider Thank this.
  5. bostonsteve

bostonsteve Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Here right now.
    First week is classroom, Permit test, get permit at DMV, Simulator, then more class.

You take your CDL permit on the 2nd morning if you do not come with one. You have 2 shots on the first day to pass, general, air brakes, combination. If you do not pass you have 2 more tries, but at the DMV. The in house test is done by the MO highway patrol. The in house is your best bet to pass. You can ask questions and the instructors will help you in any way they can to get you to the right answer without cheating.

The 200 per week advance was explained this way. It is for you and only you. Do not use it for anything but food and living on the road. She gave us an example where the person was sending the money home. He was warned and then sent home. They said if you are not taking care of yourself on the road you are a danger to drive.

Once you pass your permit, background, drug you should start getting calls or driver trainers hunting you down. Even though they do not grade you on the simulator and it is for practice. I was sitting with a trainer today and he said, they are well aware who is doing well and seems to learn and who is not.

Fri or Sat you will head out with a trainer for 3-4 weeks. Once he or she feels you are able to pass your CDL they will work you back to the terminal for the test. When you pass you go back out on the road. You have to do 40K combined with the trainer to get your own truck.

From what I understand, they try to hook you up with someone near your home so when they take home time you are not stuck in a truck or hotel.

I will post more as I learn more. One thing I will say, it seems that the training here is very strict and professional.

6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    The website mentioned "truckingtruth" just repeats what is available on the carrier websites.

If you're going to do some research on carriers - check out the "bad trucking company" forum here on TTR. Take it with a grain of salt because you'll find folks who are discontented with their employers in any industry. Then, go find where the active drivers are posting here on TTR, and see what they are saying... there are plenty of active threads on Prime in this folder for example.

Sell you on Prime? Why?? Do the research and sell yourself. What works for us may not work for you.

7. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    The information on that "truth" site isnt completely accurate neither. I looked through it.

8. holmescounty

holmescounty Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2011
    florida
    Hey was wondering would be the best time to actually put in my app. I don't have my cdl nor have I ever driven one do was wondering if it's best to get training during the summer months or the snowy winter or does it really matter? Thanks for any info guys sorry for the hijacked thread. Seen ip and ord on here so thought I'd shoot them the ?:biggrin_25514:

9. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Getting training during the winter means you aren't alone during your first snow season.

10. holmescounty

holmescounty Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2011
    florida
    Is it just a preferance or does it just a confidence booster?

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Driving in the summer is easy - you want to be trained (and with an experienced driver) when the driving is hard in the winter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.