Considering pulling the trigger on new profession.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by FAKATA, Dec 13, 2021.

Should I quit job to start business ?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. FAKATA

FAKATA Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2021
    Yes, if or when I can get my hands on tractor and trailer, I was quoted 19,000$ a year with progressive, official quote considering my state and actual info with driving record, WI has one of the lowest insurance rate states.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    There is nothing glamorous about trucking. That's just ditch digging. Yes, there is money to be made if you grasp the principle of spending less than what you earn but I think where you are at now, and with some patience and more qualifications - like graduate diploma, you can jump onto something more rewarding. And why this idea? Dig out some threads from 2 years back and see how a different mood everybody was in. I am biased for being against here because I think I know what sort of disappointments you are going through now but I think you risk too much. But do what you feel is right.

4. FAKATA

FAKATA Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2021
    Thank you everyone for taking time and sharing your opinions, really valuable to see perspective of people in the industry.

I think I’ll just work for as company driver for a 6-12 months, good friend of mine has company with 10 trucks and getting 4 more cascadias in February, he isn’t going to screw me over, while I work for him I’ll work on financing new truck and trailer once they become available ( already of several wait lists) and go from there.

im not worried about leaving my industry, I’m in very technical field, there aren’t many people more knowledgeable than me in the state or nation, so getting back won’t be an issue, but many rely on me and working 60-80 hours a week 7 days.

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    hope you are not expecting a whole lot less hours then that, as lazy as I am I still do over 50 hours a week, then I get to do fun stuff like paperwork and maintenance on top of that …

6. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I was a worker for years and could do none stop labor out doing anyone in the business. Worked up to be a manger for 15 years and did the same. Mental part was just as hard as labor was for complicated jobs when I was a manager. Now I would not be physical wore down when being a manager but was metally sometimes. It basically is the same thing for driving as after a week out driving hard get a little tired but nothing hard about it. Same way with finding jobs and doing paperwork. It really is not that hard as far as the work goes. And I get way less aggravated from Driving vs dealing with every problem from Design to Final Shipment process when was a manager. I know most people on here have no real clue on what a Manager does and think driving for ones self is worse.

7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I was a worker for years and could do none stop labor out doing anyone in the business. Worked up to be a manger for 15 years and did the same. Mental part was just as hard as labor was for complicated jobs when I was a manager. Now I would not be physical wore down when being a manager but was metally sometimes. It basically is the same thing for driving as after a week out driving hard get a little tired but nothing hard about it. Same way with finding jobs and doing paperwork. It really is not that hard as far as the work goes. And I get way less aggravated from Driving vs dealing with every problem from Design to Final Shipment process when was a manager. I know most people on here have no real clue on what a Manager does and think driving for ones self is worse.

8. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    He'll be happier trucking ... I was the same place at his age. Actually a couple of rungs higher on the corporate ladder.

Telcom is bruttaly political at the management levels. I had an angioplasty for my 40th birthday. By 43 I was referred for a transplant. Running his own truck will magnitudes less stressful than what he's doing now ...

9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    He'll be happier trucking ... I was the same place at his age. Actually a couple of rungs higher on the corporate ladder.

Telcom is bruttaly political at the management levels. I had an angioplasty for my 40th birthday. By 43 I was referred for a transplant. Running his own truck will magnitudes less stressful than what he's doing now ...

TallJoe Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am glad it worked out for you.

11. Natty Bro

Natty Bro Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Quit! Comcast sucks. I literally just had to deal with them today. They sent a dude to my house who could barely speak English and had no clue really what to do. He said, "Oh, it might be your box... if so I can't help you." I was like, "Then why are you here?" Horrible company and I they'll lose my business in a couple months.

All that said, there's no better time to change your life then RIGHT NOW! Don't let anyone tell you differently. Don't listen to the economy BS, or the rate BS. or anything else. The only thing that matters is your hustle.

My only advice, go get a local driving job until next year, then look to buy a truck. Learn to back, then everything else will fall into place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.