Considering schnieder, read first!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by chuckles16201, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Good luck, Vegas. I hope it works out, as Crete is the best of the companies you've tried to hire on with.

Janell in Salt Lake is a straight shooter. You should try to be based out of there. I don't know anyone at the Phoenix terminal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I guess I should apologize.

But I won't.

As a new employee of the company and a grad of their training program, I can tell you exactly what it is like. But maybe your 3/4 of a day somehow overrides my experience.

Vegas,
    Schneider may hire out of NV, but maybe they aren't hiring now. From where I am, I kind of stick out because Im in an area that Schneider doesn't even normally hire for. I know that in my state, they had no openings, outside of the one that I signed up for.
    Another thing to consider is that Schneider considers Vegas to be a high theft area (ie...they had a high freight theft issue there last year), so maybe they are trying to avoid going there.
    As far as your recruiter, not sure what to tell you. I applied online and got a phone call about 16 hours later. And if you do get signed on with them, try to talk to the DBL that you will work with so you can get the full version of what you will be doing.

4. thelasvegasone

thelasvegasone Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Well I just got a call back from Crete and they told me that my app. has been approved.Thank god at last.I am signed up 2 go to orientation next monday. I am way excited but on the other hand I am still a little bit skepticle.I just hope that I don't get all the way over there and they take me out on a road test and fail me once Im there.Anyway I am trying to think positive.:biggrin_25519:

5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    You won't fail if you have confidence in yourself and know what you're doing. I assume you're going to Lincoln. How did they set that up for you? How will you get there?

6. chuckles16201

chuckles16201 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Chicora, Pa
    Sorry, been so longs since I been on here. But to answer some of the responses on the post I made to begin this Thread...
    Some-one said I should of done a better pre-trip, Well of course I probably could of, but unless you ever pulled one of those older Dollar General trls, I don't expect you to understand. It was a leaking axle seal that caused the fire. The hubs wasn't full ,, but alittle low. After seeing the parts from the shop, the brake pads were saturated with oil, which means the seals had been leaking for some time and the mechanics in charge of the trailers justed refilled the oil level and ignored the fact they was leaking.
    Secondly, in response to the fact that I should of used my qualcomm... well you are right. But, you didn't consider the fact that I was on a small 2 lane high way in the (PA) National Forest and the trees hang out over the highways. ..... You guessed it!! No signal what so ever.. so then what do I do???
    Well I do the right thing and call my dispatchers...explain the situation completely and they advice me to call SNI emergency maintanence. 2nd phone call into SNI office @ dollar general dedicated account... I talk directly to my DBL... he tells me .. " Nothing we can do, you have to sit and wait for SNI emergency maintanence!" On my 5th call to my DBL... he realizes ... that he "himself" has told me to call the wrong number, cuz Werner ownes the dollar general trailers (4 1/2 hrs after first phone call) not SNI. It was approx. 1/2 hr to 1 hr b4 he called me back to tell me they was sending someone!

As far as my times don't add up .... well maybe I was 200% accurate .. I was and still am pissed off about the whole situation. All I do know is that is was 10:15 --- 10:30 am when I used my fire exstingusher.. and it was almost 3 in the afternoon b4 i got word that a service truck was coming... and it was roughly 6:30--7 pm when they showed up.
    And they told the service truck the brakes was locked up .. just needed adjusted .. so they only brought the tools to adjust the brakes. So go figure...
    Needless to say,, the trailer was not fixed until monday afternoon.
    I think I would of got some type of breakdown pay.... its been almost 3 weeks and still nothing.

So in total evaluation... is Schneider that bad of a company.... in my mind YES!.... that dedicated account for Dollar General-- STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM AS POSSIBLY!!!! FAR FAR AWAY!!!

As far as my detention/ breakdown pay , I am callin them on Monday to find out. while let you guys know what I find out.

Oh , almost forgot . Someone said that as far as the roach motel, I should of told someone.. Everybody in orientation was complaining about it..... As soon as we spoke about it, The instructors for SNI was like " Yes we know, that motel sucks , ain't nothing we can do about it, we have told Green Bay, WI about it a million times, but they have a contract with them, so nothing we can do!"

FINAL NOTE!

Day after quiting SNI.. I called Smith Transport, within 1 week I was sitting in orientation. What I do know so far... is they take care of you... don't stick you in a motel room with another person, give you your own motel room... feed you a real breakfast, lunch at there terminal .. at 100% no cost to you.. all u can eat... and at the end of the day .. they give you a $10 card for ponderosa.... That is way better than SNI even thought of offering!

7. ziggystyles

If only this were true. Each OC that trains goes around to area hotels for the best deal. My OC did the same thing while we were there, as they took some instructors out and did some hotel shopping as a contract was about to expire with one of the 2 they were using. Green Bay might pay for the hotels, but the OC has the contract.

Well all I know is that Im grown up enough to share a room with someone for a couple of weeks. Not going to be the end of the world. As far as breakfast, they DO provide it at the hotel as far as using the hotels continental breakfast (ours had bagles, oatmeal, fruit, juice, muffins). The other hotel had cereal and other things. I guess I don't need to eat with a pinky up in the air. They also give you a stack of coupons you can use at the OC cafeteria, with food made to order. Five bucks a day...better than nothing. Dinner, you are on your own. Go out to the local quiznos or Chipolte or whatever...spend 8 bucks, yer done.

8. Mmopar40

Mmopar40 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Aurora, IL
    not only that, they have apples and bananas in the lobby that you can take!

9. H-D wrench

H-D wrench Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2007
    PA(near new stanton)
    Thank you ziggy!
    As a 42 year old smoker( not chain but certainly to much) I guess Ill not bother with SNI. Unfortunatly I do get to puff n huffin. As most us OLD SMOKIES do.
    Im not That outa shape and can certianly lift and pull that weight and more, but with all i have heard ......Im not going to Carlise just to wash out over breathin hard.
    I quit smokin 63 times I quit quiting ONCE!:MEGA1:

10. ziggystyles

HD,
    Don't let me stop you from trying Schneider, it could be a great opportunity for you. My comment (I think that you might be replying to) was towards another board member furious that they got the boot because they failed the test.

The main kicker is just a pulse thing. For you, it would be 200, minus your age...so that would be 158. Do some exercises at home and take your pulse. For Schneider, if it hits 158, your done. However, many people are on BP medication..which actually SLOWS the heart rate down! Kinda like a cheater drug I guess...but hey if it works.

Im not sure if breathing is an indicator for them or not. I mean...Christ, look at the truckers out there. A good chunk of them smoke, and many students smoke as well. I think five or 6 of us 10 that graduated smoked.

Either way, you might want to look into it more. The company that does the testing is Atlas Ergonomics.

11. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Yeah Zig is right....it's actually 220 - age X .9 ....I'm 40 and my max heart rate was 162...I didn't even come close to it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.