Considering WS for next ride..

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by leftlanetruckin, May 17, 2013.

1. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Currently running a paid for 2006 F/Liner Columbia with the Mercedes and a 13 speed. With the MBE motor, air ride front end, and the midroof XT sleeper, it is a light truck for sure. But with over 870k miles, and a motor with @500k miles, it's gonna need some lovin' soon.
    20,400lbs with 300 galls of fuel, all my securement equipment (box headache rack, 2 boxes, 1 step box), gas genenerator and rooftop AC.
    If we buy a WS, what is the approx weight of one with a 76"-82" sleeper?
    Most likely have a Detroit, as we are hearing bad things about the ISX motors in our price range (2006-2009), and Cats are the same problem from my own experience of guys that own them that I know. 13 or 18 speed, 12 or 13k front end, 40k rears. Wheelbase will probably be @265-275"
    I dont mind KW's, owned one before and the company I am leased to runs them exclusively. The T660 Studio's got my attention for sure!
    Pete's are out. All image and no interior room.
    Freightliner would be a possibility, but after looking over the WS, I probably wouldnt be happy knowing what I do after owning 2 of them.
    So, approximate weights?
    Any weak spots or models to get or avoid?
    Any years better than others?
    Anything else to consider as far as WS sleeper trucks go?
    Many thanks in advance

Martin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sky_blue

sky_blue Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Tampa, Fl
    I just bought a 2002 Western Star 4964FX weighing in at 18,900 with the tanks almost empty so they defiantly make them heavy, but my truck has the 82 inch sleeper, 320 wheelbase, 13 speed tranny, factory 600hp c16 cat, and the steel cab, and equipped with all the options like the tandem scale, etc. I'm setting this for a heavy haul application so after double framing it and adding the lift axle I'm figuring I'm gonna be at 21500 or so with no fuel and 23000 with full tanks. This doesn't exactly answer your question but you can probably figure the weight difference if you subtract the engine, frame etc.
    Any weakspots? The mile counter is on the built in dashboard and maxes out at 999,999.9. You can get the actual miles from the ecm. That's the only thing I can think of in my short experience with it

4. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Thanks Blue.
    I would imagine a more normal spec (S60/DD15,shorter wheelbase, etc) truck would be @17-18k lbs.
    Do they all have steel cabs?
    Still getting to grips with the model numbers etc.

Martin

5. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Not all trucks have only the data star. Personally I've only seen it in 03/04 trucks where they only have the data star and not an odo on the speedo. I've also seen 03/04 trucks where they have both.

Somewhere in one of the Western star threads I listed differences between the years in the Stars but I don't remember which one.

Found it http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...star-forum/177734-03-western-star-4900sa.html

6. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Read through that already, thank you.
    Will see if the right deal comes along and go from there.
    I need ramps for RGN's, headache rack, boxes, strobes, etc too, so it's not a straight forward deal for me if I end up keeping my old truck with all that stuff on it already.
    Many thanks for the replies

Martin

7. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    If your looking for a truck with a lot of interior room you'll like a western star. The only weak point I can think of is the steel cab and as we all know steel will rust over time.

8. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Thanks AJ.
    Funny enough, the dealer had one in the shop when I picked my trailer up, so had a looksie inside. Was a day cab, but was pretty impressed when having a walk around it.
    Door closed perfectly, and it was a 2006 that pulled a dump trailer, so that was a novelty!:biggrin_25525:
    Also spoke to one of our guys who runs a 2006 with a 60" sleeper on it, and a MBE motor. He said he has never had a single problem with the WS side of the truck, and his weight was comparable to my FL.
    On the hunt, and will keep everyone posted.
    Anything to look for specifically? Anything to avoid?
    Looking at the 70" plus Stratosphere sleepers, probably a Detroit, and a 13 or 18 speed. Years 207-2009 probably

Martin

9. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    If you want a stratosphere over 70" then it would be a 82". If you want a Detroit your best bet is to get pre dpf. Wiper pivots are really the weakest point and also the steal cabs rot/crack around the wiper pivots on the outside over time.

10. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Thanks!
    It would be a pre 2009 rig if Detroit. A friend of mine has a 2009 Crapcadia and has had 'issues" with the motor. Are the normal EGR 14l detroits OK now then? I know they had issues initially with the EGR stuff on them.
    My local shop wont touch an ISX, so it's ether a Cat or Detroit. The Cat would be an Acert motor, which do not impress me too much, not to mention MPG!

Martin

11. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Also, having a hard time nailing down an estimated bobtail weight of a Detroit/13 or 18speed equipped rig with the larger sleeper on it.
    Anyone have anything besides "Heavy", which is all I seem to hear about them.

Martin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.