Considering your own authority?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JoBernard, Feb 18, 2010.

1. JoBernard

JoBernard Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Considering Running Your Own Authority

Here's a very general idea about how much it'll cost to start running your own authority. , you'll have a good foundation of knowledge to add to your experience. You can do most of the preparation work for yourself and it won't be too hard or difficult, just apply yourself and meditate on the instructions given at every step in the process and you'll do just fine. I've always said, if you're not willing to focus in on the details of the paper work involved with starting to run your own authority, you're probably not ready for the additional focus required to be successful at running your own authority.

General Cash Outlay for Operating Authority

300.00 MC# FMCSA Application
    1250.00 Insurance Primary Liability and Cargo
    1000.00 Down Payment on a new to fairly new Trailer
    500.00 Tax Tag Title
    100.00 Compliance Services providing Consortium for random drug and alcohol screening
    100.00 If you chose to use a Compliance Service to set up all the other compliance paperwork
    12.00 New Mexico Weight and Distance Application 2.00 and 10.00 per Certificate
    10.00 New York Application and Sticker
    20.00 IFTA Application and Sticker
    3,500.00 Roughly is the cash layout in general on average to make the switch
    Heavy Highway Use Tax may or may not be due, as already owning your truck you should know by now it's about 550.00 annually Form2290
    - California State Application is no charge if you have not run miles under you authority
    - Kentucky's Application is free for the KYU

Any one of these may have change, but these prices are fairly current at the time I'm posting the material 1st QRT 2009
    One of the first things you'll want to concern yourself with is what is my responsibility at the Authority level, what should I expect to earn and HOW" am I going to do it. Here's a few things to keep in mind and a little bit of what happen to me at the Authority Level

III Business responsibility: This includes but is not limited to the previous responsibilities of the load and the unit, the total responsibility for the creation of the business, the structure of its services, the range and scope of the business, the choosing of all services to the business, all legal requirements, employment requirements, compliance requirements, record keeping e.g. maintenance, driver logs, qualification and medical/drug and alcohol screening and random test, filings, taxes, penalties, legal injunctions, negotiating of all contracts involved in the general day to day business, setting rates, finding loads, gauging the market, research and development "which is by the way is what you're doing now, permits, buying and selling of equipment, trailers and other load securing devices, recovery in breakdown situations, training, office and location, rents, utilities, and all other overhead financial responsibilities, and the list goes on and on and on.

One of the main things to continue to bear in mind is, If you have all this double the responsibility it should go without saying that you should be paid double of what you are paid at the company level. I did nothing but math and Spreadsheets the whole time I owned equipment, and over and over again I found that those that did not have a working knowledge of the market were paid as such that after their expenses they were making in most cases half of what the company drivers make. I'll be showing you some of those numbers. Point is it should never be and the shame is that in an average market with a high demand for truck it never should happen.

Authority stage: The decision to get my own Authority came as somewhat a surprise and carried its fair share of a mystery to me; I had left Panther thinking the grass was greener on the other side over at Tri-State. It wasn't, I think maybe I could have stayed but I was already use to freely finding my own loads, at least outside the service area and sometimes inside all depending on the situation but there was, let's just say, a different kind of environment there for that. So it got me to thinking, maybe God is putting out a challenge for me, and as you can tell I'm always up to it if the Lord "opens the door" so I check the bank and they said "No!", I was some what relieved . I'd just stick it out and who know what the future would hold. But I remembered I'd been with the Credit Union for a long time, so I thought Why not try, turns out, they help me get the loan for the trailer. So the door was open and three weeks later I was on my own Authority and the Lord bless me to learn so much I can't list it all here, so I decided to write a book, so here it is.

bigbyrc, kenn2632, Ermainej and 15 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    This is extremely good information and these guys that want to lean towards a fleece program can figure out by looking at load boards and asking REAL owner operators with THEIR own authority what they get in rates then figure that .89-.90 CPM and some pathetic FSC is getting bent royally by these bottom feeder companies when they tell these drivers that they are doing them a favor helping them to get a truck! Yeah they are! You do the paying they keep 1/2 - 2/3 of the rate of pay! Seems fair to me! ROFLMFAO!

I'll give you a gov web site just so you can see what the produce rates are at and it's NOT what these bottom feeders are telling you they are! Just look through it and note the date of the posting! It's a weekly thing! GET SMART before you fleece a truck! BUY IT!

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/wa_fv190.txt

Yes they are down BUT this is because these produce companies are playing the trucking industry as fools!Go to the store and see if THAT price has fallen? Yep that what I thought! Sit there and NOT haul their produce and see where the rates will go AND if you are savvy enough you can get a better rate with a little wheeling and dealing!

BUT the gist of this matter is do you think that that bottom feeder that's "selling, renting" you a truck and making FORTY- FIFTY CENTS A MILE off of you is being anything but honest with you? If you do then you really need to go to drug rehab! You drive 500 miles for them and you're paying them $250 a day! Go back and look at those prices that JoBenard posted and figure out how many miles you would ONLY have to drive for that bottom feeder before you cleared what it would take you to do! Then ask again if you're in a good deal! These days a penny is a penny and when it bypasses your pocket it ain't doing you any good!

KB3MMX and bigbyrc Thank this.
  4. Thereyago

Thereyago Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2010
    west st paul, mn
    i'm curious what you think is the best kind of trucking to go with your own authority. I have done van and reefer, once I own my truck I am looking to maximize profits and naturally I have been looking into getting my own authority. however I am not sure reefer loads are the way to go. I am used to being busy and running but I am worried about not being able to get enough fright running reefer along with the expense of a trailer.

bigbyrc Thanks this.
  5. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    With the 101 or any size actually but 101 is just a little more freight or either kind reefer or dry, and AIR RIDE ON ALL. That's two kinds of freight you can't haul on anything else. The unit doesn't always have to be running to make money! I've done many loads, cold out dry back or gone for weeks only on either type.

OR

Do the step deck or double drop with bulk heads. Again two types of loads. High cube or flatbed. Just set up the bulkheads and away you go. In these times maximizing a load is the most important. I went years dong the same on a reefer. I'd get 2 LTL's and make more off of them due to the mileage rate. Don't think that 12 pallets is a full load! USE THAT CUBEAGE! I'd rather be hauling paying freight that sitting next to a dozen flat beds or drys or reefers waiting for a load! They ARE the competition!

bigbyrc and The Challenger Thank this.
  6. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    I hope that $1,250.00 is just the down payment for insurance because theres no way your getting a years worth of insurance for that rate.

bigbyrc Thanks this.
  7. JoBernard

Feb 18, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    This is a very serious question, and it is a question "wholly" based on expected market conditions: the best of both worlds is to have both, but I realize you want to get started here: In a decent market you can make a fist full of money with a refer; if you master the trucking market; fail to master the trucking market and I double promise you: "you will take nothing but a beating" regardless of what you run. that being said, if you know what you're doing out there you can make just as much running dry as refer, but if the market is good "hell" why not have a refer and really clean up. Here's the problem: when the market goes south; you are going to be backed into a corner to run refer loads on ridiculous, hideous, just down right mournful prices: now you gota keep fuel in the thang and run it all day, and you're broke, and just wantin to die every dam day of yo life. Man if you're startin out, don't take any chances; run dry and work up to a refer, don't worry, it'll come, if it's meant to be, and in the mean time you can focus more on learning the business, than focusing time on fixin a broke down refer. Hope that help, and now you know----what I know, God Bless you, Jo Bernard

8. Mar1138

Mar1138 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    I have a serious question about obtaining your own authority. I have 3 drug felonies from the state of PA. I was arrested for pos. w. intent to deliver marijuana back when I was in college. My license in PA was suspended due to this. Since then I obtained a CDL in WA state, I've been OTR for the past 2 1/2 years. Have worked steadily for a trucking company out of Chicago. I feel that I am ready to take the next step and start my own authority. My QUESTION is as follows: 1. will I be granted authority given my prior felonies? and 2. will an insurance company accept me and or the company I would like to start since I have the drug felonies. My driving record is clear, no violations whatsoever. My PA license was suspended only because that is the law when charged, but it had nothing to due with me driving or anything like that. It has however been restored and all my legal responsibilities have been concluded. Any information would be very useful, thank you.

JoBernard Thanks this.
  9. JoBernard

Feb 18, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for your comment Mar1138, Sometime people go in business for themselves because the very reasons you stated: I don't foresee you not getting your own authority, here's the only probable challenge: When getting your fictitious name and business license your state might have some hurdles, also if you plan on getting your Hazmat permits later on down the line, but either one of those things didn't require as far as I can remember very much background information. The Insurance companies are always in it for the money, so no I don't think they'll prevent you but you may have to shop around, just in case they are trying to charge you more. As far as FMCSA, your charges did not involve the use of a commercial vehicle, or you might not be using a CMV today, therefore unless I'm missing something I just don't see them not letting you go for it. I would go for it, and if you do, either way let me know, I could add the information to my website, thanks again, and good luck, Jo Bernard

10. tk40176

tk40176 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY

Don't tip toe around, spit it out and say what you really want to say. :biggrin_25520:
    None the less, I disagree though somewhat. If you were to add FSC for all miles (not just loaded), discounted: fuel (big differences from the pump), insurance (almost 1/2 the cost w/higher coverage), repairs, PMs, truck wash, support for breakdown out on the road, truck parts, services, tires, if not all at least partial tolls, etc... and on top of which you don't have to call every broker in town / stand in front of load board looking for your next load. How about not having to wait net 30/60/90 days to get paid or fight to collect if they don't pay (which could be big headaches + time consuming), might pay for certain expenses when you're little short on $$ out on the road (major repairs, fines, etc...), solve disputes (w/customers, brokers, etc...) and so many other minuscule details that might otherwise make or break some budding businesses. When times are good, no one worries about the scraps left on the table but in trouble times it might be better to have an umbrella. So in essence, “.89-.90 CPM” w/.25 - 33+ (?) might not be worst than independent o/o with his own authority getting $1.50 per mile. Your mileage may vary, to each their own.
    Well, with that all said and done, it doesn’t mean I totally disagree either. Just saying there’s always another side to look at.

bigbyrc and Thereyago Thank this.
  11. Mar1138

Mar1138 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    JoBernard I would like to thank you very much for your help and advice. I have a question, what did you mean by the hurdles regarding my state with the business license and fictitious name? Did you mean that the process might take some time from my state or that they might somehow have an issue with my record. Also my felonies had nothing to due with my CDL or my drivers license. That is just how I was penalized by state law. Once more I appreciate your help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.