Considering your own authority?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JoBernard, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Would you rather gross $27,000 and drive 24,000 miles AND pay a codriver or would you rather gross $20,000 and drive less than 10,000 miles running solo? More miles means more cost.

Sure Landstar offers loads at $1/mile. But nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to take it. You find your own loads and take the best paying freight.

If you are going to get your own authority, why settle for a rate that's so abysmally low? It makes NO sense. You would do far better finding your own loads on a load board, figuring out where the best paying freight is, and negotiating your rates. Sure it's more work. You have to get on the phone and dial for dollars and pay attention to the market and freight lanes. But the reward is you make double the rate per mile on average and run fewer miles.

$1.15 a mile is barely better than the rates mega carriers pay their owner operators. At least with a mega you don't have to get your own authority. The reason why a driver gets their own authority is to make MORE money, not less.

bigbyrc Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. herk71

herk71 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I'm just trying to consider all options. I have the money to buy my own truck so I'm just trying to make the best decisions possible. I have considered Landstar and like what I see with them. I appreciate the input.

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    That Kenworth with 500k miles will put you in a poor house in no time and you will just sit there watching all of your savings getting dumped in to the truck and that thing still would not run well

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. bigbyrc

bigbyrc Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    That's what I was thinking$1500 to $2000 unless you got something special ised like heavyweight is more, I would think...

7. bigbyrc

bigbyrc Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Exactly!!!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.