Construction workers filling out Logs?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by WBG_Rob, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you fill it out and hand it over, whether you are required to have it or not it had better be right! If there are ANY mistakes, the officer can write you up even if you didn't have to draw them up. The proof that you though you needed them at the time is the fact that you were keeping the log.

A simple rule of thumb, if you aren't required to have something, don't have it. If you are required to have something, have it.

They can't write you up for not having something you aren't required to have.

Bottom line, know the rules of the game you're playing to know what is and isn't required.

misterG, Oxbow and Zeviander Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. styro

styro Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Short haul non-cdl is 150 air miles which I believe is 162 statute miles.

4. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I've don't recall seeing a pickup rolling through a weigh station or port of entry. I do recall signs that say 'no pickups'

What defined a pickup truck? I've undertood as 1 ton and under.

I know its a business and you need to see the law in print.

styro Thanks this.
  5. styro

styro Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I have but they were towing a trailer. I don't know if they needed to though.

dca Thanks this.
  6. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    I would err on the side of caution, and train your workers to use one. But, also stop and see the people who enforce the regulations.
    Talk to the local State Trooper Headquarters for your region. They are going to have the most accurate information. They want us all to comply and not have a violation. They hate paperwork as much as the rest of us.
    They are the ones who will have to time and desire to tell you what you need to know.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You're better off reading the rules for yourself. Any time you're relying upon somebody else to explain the rules to you, their interpretation is going to be bent in their favor. They aren't going to explain to you the loopholes that might allow you to do something else. Why not? Because they'd rather you have that log book...lets them see where you've been and how long you've been working. It also creates opportunities for them to find things you did wrong. Every cop on the planet will tell you there is no quota on the number of tickets each cop has to write...but if they aren't writing enough, higher ups start wondering what they've been doing all shift.

So don't expect them to tell you about the short-haul exemption, or the regulation that allows you to continue on to the next safe place to have repairs made if a defect occurs while under way, or any of the other special circumstances you may or may not fall into that allows you to do something you wouldn't otherwise be able to do. They are bending the rules to give them the best opportunity to find something to write you up for without telling you to do something wrong. Your company will bend the rules to their favor, so that you'll be more inclined to move their freight or whatever else they want you to do. As long as you're relying upon others to interpret the rules for you, you'll never get the full picture. Read them yourself and use whatever tools you find to your own advantage.

8. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    In Florida all companies getting a new DOT number are sent a letter telling you that you MUST attend a state sponsored (Free) class to explain all of this sort of rules. I assume this is relatively new but I'm not sure what they actually started it, (At least 3 years ago).

It was 3 years since I went and I mostly only paid attention to the parts that were relevant to me and my company so I'll not answer the initial question (As I do not fully remember and DO NOT want to give bad advise here) but I will say that in a case like this I would recommend calling your state DOT and ask to speak to a supervisor in the DOT Commercial vehicle enforcement division. Be sure to get his/her name and if appropriate rank. Ask for a clarification and if they say no log book, no CDL or anything that means you do not fall under the rules requiring then say, "Great, can you help me find that statute in the book? What is the stature number"? Then go read it for yourself. Then, keep that name/rank and a copy of the retentive statute handy because you just may need it to help make your case to the friendly officer that is not as well trained as "Supervisor Major John Doe" in the home office. (Replace "Home office" with the actual name of the correct city) have that office phone number handy as well and politely offer it.

The advise about not having a log book if you are not required to is spot on. Required or not, if you have it, it better be perfect.

As for the "Air miles" and "Statute miles" thing. Do not get real fancy here. When they say "Air miles" they are not talking to pilots. They are not using aviation terminology. What they are saying is "Mileage in a straight line" or "As the crow fly's"

wis bang and misterG Thank this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    All of the companies that have set up shop to market ELD's mention the fact that the units can be installed easily on class 2-5 trucks, which is what you are describing. There must be a need for them.

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    When the FMCSA refers to air miles it is, in fact, referring to the aviation term; straight out of the FMCSA...

Question 12: What constitutes the 100-air-mile radius exemption?

Guidance:

The term “air mile” is internationally defined as a “nautical mile” which is equivalent to 6,076 feet or 1,852 meters. Thus, the 100 air miles are equivalent to 115.08 statute miles or 185.2 kilometers.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.1

misterG and HaulinCars Thank this.
  11. WBG_Rob

WBG_Rob Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Some of the answers were helpful thanks all.

These are 1/2 ton pickups. They are not Duellis or semis.

I feel that the 100 mile radius will cover us. Sometimes the trucks will weigh more than 10,001 but as long as they stay within 100 miles they shouldn't have to do a log book. If they go over they would have to log for that day and any other day they went over.

This is the same that they Belly Dump and other local Semi Drivers do.

Patty that is actually incorrect. Just because you stop at a weigh station does not mean you would have a log book. And just because you don't stop at a weigh station does not mean you don't have to do one. Be careful if you are using this as your rule of thumb.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.