container hauling

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by thecaveman1, Nov 1, 2011.

1. thecaveman1

thecaveman1 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2011
    myrtle beach sc
    is there any money in hauling containers as an owner op

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Not that I've ever seen or heard of. Had a friend who tried leasing on to CSX.....only lasted about 2 weeks. Problem with it is there isn't a real financial investment. Anyone with a $500 truck can do it and fall over each other to cut the rates. I'm sure some will chime in saying they make millions but I've never known anyone who has personally.

thecaveman1, blanco and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Maybe a little money with JB Hunt Intermodal .

thecaveman1 Thanks this.
  5. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    The problems my friend had with CSX was they said most of your loads will be"drop and hook" and almost every load he got was a live load. They would tell him to go to the yard and find an 53' trailer, after an hour of searching you finally find one without a flat tire only to find some other damage like stuck brakes non working lights ect. Oh and they were crammed in the lot with a yard truck so they're 4" apart. Things just were nothing like they told him they would be when he started.

thecaveman1 Thanks this.
  6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    One of my tire repair vendors has a lot of Can Haulers (Port of Long Beach) as customers....

He's told me those guys average $50 per load....

thecaveman1 Thanks this.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    My boss pays 'by the move'...take an MT can back and bring out a load to drop...grab an MT and do it again. They get $120.00 for a short round and $250.00 for a long one with different towns in between paying somewhere in between.

They do 2 to 4 rounds a day depending on the volume and never leave north/central NJ...A busy day means we move 150 cans off the port w/ 44 operators so we also return 150.

I'd like to know how many cans move around Port Newark in a day.

scottied67 and thecaveman1 Thank this.
  8. FLORIDAHEAVYHAUL

FLORIDAHEAVYHAUL Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2011
    High Springs, Florida
    I go to the port's quite a bit. Judging by the tractors I see hauling containers, I can only surmise that either the money isn't that great or the majority of the drivers spend their money on other things.:biggrin_25525:

thecaveman1 and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Friends don't let fiends haul containers.

10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I ran rail containers for Schneider locally in Chicago and avg $700 a night but then they kicked all the O/O out after a few years and got the company guys to do it. Was fun while it lasted, and couldn't beat the pay, 8hr days and home every day.

scottied67 and thecaveman1 Thank this.
  11. volvodriver01

volvodriver01 Road Train Member

I have a buddy that is leased to BTT Indy yard. He is making good money and runs indy, louisville, and chicago. Been trying to get me to come over and I just don't have any container expierence. BTT is affiliated with mersk. I just know what my buddy has been saying. Good luck.

thecaveman1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.