Contesting cdl violations

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jpgale22, Dec 10, 2018.

1. jpgale22

jpgale22 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Is there a way I can fight my cdl violations?? They didn’t give me a ticket they just gave me a couple violations the two cdl lawyers companies that I talk to gave me told me that I need to have a ticket to contest

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Explain with details.

4. jpgale22

Apr 12, 2016
    Random dot inspection got busted for bad tires and left turn signal on trailer with this bs intermodal equipment and also trailer license plate light light

5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    So what your saying is that your upset they found problems with the equipment you accepted to pull but did not do a pre-trip on and get repairs done before you took it out onto the road. Or did I misunderstand?

brian991219 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's common with intermodal trucking. If a driver writes up a problem, it costs the driver money because he now is turning down a run or dealing with a long wait time for another chassis or repair.
    Intermodal is a gold mine for DOT inspectors and the state's coffers. It's just part of the territory.
    Yeah, I've done that too and won't do intermodal again.

buddyd157, dunchues and jpgale22 Thank this.
  7. jpgale22

Apr 12, 2016
    Never said I was upset just tryna see is there a way I can get this to not count against my csa score

8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Short answer is no. A DOT Inspection does not fall under the jurisdiction of your local court. If this was a case where the officer conducting the inspection was wrong, you would be required to submit a Data Q to contest the Inspection. Your situation does not fall under this scenario as the equipment that you were pulling did in fact have the defects cited.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Told you that you need to have a ticket to contest?

Eh WTF? Is this a parking? Summons? Weight station load ticket citation? Inspection?

There are thousands of ways to Write up Money Bags Express Inc with home ternimal deep in the Bandywine County near Philadelphia where money is something so remote as not to matter to those who have to break off a few crumbs to the state.

adayrider Thanks this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Violations on intermodal equipment chassis are supposed to be recorded against the intermodal equipment provider. Each IEP is required to have their own US DOT number. Violations that are exclusive to the intermodal equipment should be assigned to this DOT number. Example would be a bad tire or wheel seal on an intermodal chassis. Lights could come back to you if it can't be proven it was not a defect in the tractor or pigtail wiring harness.

If you have violations that are assigned to your DOT number you should be able to DataQ them and have them reassigned to the IEP DOT number. Now, that will not do anything to remove or otherwise alter them against your individual PSP score, as you were the driver operating the equipment at the time of the inspection and discovery of the violation.

These really do not matter since the only time a driver's score is checked is when doing a PSP report, if the new motor carrier chooses to order one. Your insurance company nor current employer is legally allowed to pull a PSP, and that is the only way to get an official record of roadside inspection violations against an individual driver. Yes, some companies use third parties to try and mimic the PSP/CSA program, and there is nothing that can be done to remove data from those systems unless you can prove the inspection was not valid and convince the employer that submitted the data to the third party to withdraw it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    From what I remember Seagirt in Baltimore for example. (Or simply Dundalk prior to) we had a inspection row. ANY and all violations of equiptment was on the Mr Clipboard and a copy given to me to essentially fix it now please. (No please about it, you take box to fix it man in corner. Before you take that completed from to the Gate Boss who will reinspect and you better have all these boo boos gone.

With that said, you WON"T believe some of the boo boos that have escaped fro the yard. I remember one individual hefting the chassis's main power line which was almost as big as his arm. Inside the cut area it has a all the colors in the universe by pair.

He proceeds with great gravity, Solomon and seriousness of someone at a funeral, to ask me directly what color is this pair? I remember answering white and orange for one and straight green for the other.

Then I realized that the entire load of crabs being picked into baskets that morning in the fog at Crisfield which was expecting me and my 40 foot box, after all those jacks have come in. For them it's pay day and with all that comes with such a hard fought well earned day.

Leaning on a blind man in Baltimore splicing some VERY high voltage cabling. From the size of the memory I would estimate no less than say 360 and maybe more than 440, but you are pushing it.

Due to a monumental screwup (Yes Baltimore, we used that word. It's dusted off and displayed when a screw up has gotten to something that just isnt allowed.) Crisfield did not have any reefer to load.

A gallon of coffee later Im back towards baltimore to get another reefer box and chassis.

This combined with good music, eating and morale among the staffers working at Crisfield was motivating. So what if they were up early. So what if I have to get back there with a cold box, those crabs have to be loaded. It's going out tonight.

A word on Eastern Shore, it's always the same. Nothing much changes unless you are growing up there and have a chance to see it little by tiny little.

My pay for the day from Port East? 40 to load and about another 20 to do the driving, which isnt that far considering. The retrieval of the second reefer was free to me with a additional docking of about 30 gallons of fuel at about 1.60 I think per. Pretty much wiping out the weeks payroll. If there was a profit, the company ate it replacing the main electrical line to the reefer that somehow escaped it's frame despite attentions of two repair, two instructors, me and two more people including a gate guard and one officer;s spot not filled from the union house that night. They usually had a person in that slot to scream abuse at those identified as not motivational working.

Shurgs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.