Convert auto to manual

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Pletch, Apr 7, 2014.

1. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I have done auto to manual swaps. I didnt see what model your truck was, that will make a difference. The last one I did was a 387 and the clutch linkage was a bit of a pain to get worked out. 389s should be eaiser.
    Engine programming is very simple. Just change the option from auto to manual. Tear out the harness in the dash for the start enable relays. Move the resistor for the 1939 datalink. Most times you can get a trans in the same length but if not drive shafts are cheap to shorten. No new crossmembers needed.
    As for the 20 grand quote, that is what we quoted as well. Now remember that 20 grand includes a new trans, new floor plates, new shifter and knob, air lines for trans, clutch pedal and associated linkage, time to swap trans and reprogram ecm, time to cut holes in the cab for the linkage.
    On the 387, the heater box needs to get moved out for access to the linkage. Also the shop I work at is in canada and we charge 140/hour.
    The old auto trans should be good to sell for a couple grand to offset the costs. If you love the truck and want it done, it can happen.
    Its better to find an identical truck in an manual and use that serial number to order parts. We used a truck that was a year apart and parts were different enough to cause setbacks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JJL LLC

JJL LLC Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2014
    @ pushbroom... I have a 2000 VNL 770, n-14 and eaton autoshit, with clutch pedal, shift tower with hole in floorboard. I want to either 1) eliminate the autoshit crap, using same transmission. or 2 convert to 10 speed, or a 13.

is the 1st option doable? what transmission should I look for for athe conversion parts??

eaton has told me that a rtx 10 speed model transmission would drop in- problem is I cant seem to locate one close,... or reasonably priced...... $3500 for a drop out with no recored history of what truck, mileage, etc is a bit too much....

suggestions??? much appreciated... thanks
    JJL LLC

4. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    maybe you will need the ecm switch to manuel mode.

5. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    1st option is the cheapest as you already have the clutch pedal. Ideally you would find a trans that is the same length, if not, the worst would be to have the drive shaft shortened. Also you may need a front location shifter housing although im not sure. Im lucky enough to never work on volvos :)

6. farmboy15

farmboy15 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    pushbroom I am almost done with my conversion one question I have is where does the bracket for the cable attach on the bottom side

7. pushbroom

Sep 1, 2012
    A 387?? Model would help.
    if its a 387 it bolts to the engine mount

8. Nawainavea

Nawainavea Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2018
    I’m having trouble with my 02 kentworth ultra shift can you help Keola

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed phone number
  9. Nawainavea

Nawainavea Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Can you help I just spent $1422 on a fy shifter and same problem

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed phone number
  10. Quickcat22

Quickcat22 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2018
    I know this is a old thread but I need help with speed sensor trouble on a vnl volvo we put a manual into

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Most all of that is user parameter settings. Easily changed in about 10 minutes with a laptop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.