Converting 3 pedal Autoshift to manual

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Verdel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    I have 3 pedal Autoshift transmission 10 speed, it is working fine for now. From time to time I got flashing F on the gear display, but after switching on and off - problem solved. Lately I got another problem, transmission stuck on gear, after switching the knob to N (neutral) - F started to flash again, then I slowly release the clutch - it was on reverse, then pressed again and jumped to neutral.....

If you go to the dealer(Freightliner) they normally say: You have to replace Transmission harness first, xy shifter 2nd and main issue ECU..Freightliner or Eaton cant tell you exactly what component is you change all 3..tranny harness $950 part/labor , xy shifter $1700 part/labor,ECU $3300..
    P
    so you go up to about $ 6000.

I am thinking of another option, converting the Autoshift to stick shift. Basically both transmissions are the same, only top cover is different. Automatic has no stick and electric shifter - run by 2 electric motors and a computer.

My my question is: Do I have to reprogram the engine computer, for running manual transmission ?

[/COLOR]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Helowrenchturn2

Helowrenchturn2 Medium Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    no. The transmission computer tells the engine ecm what to do. Pull the auto out, slap in your manual and you are good to go

Verdel Thanks this.
  4. OW/OP Wolfman

OW/OP Wolfman Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I had the same problems. I have the same automatic in one of my trucks.

That F code was flashing and I was hauling a load. I rolled into the nearest dealership and it was Freightliner of Joplin, MO.

They said you have 2 very important sensors that have to be replaced periodically. They said they would run a diagnostic check and make sure. A gear selector position sensor and a speed sensor. They replaced mine and it runs like new.

Positionsensor part # FUL/K3438, it was $88.00.

Speedsensor part # FUL/K4148, it was $38.13.

Install labor was $220.00.

As long as it keeps running good and easy to fix by someone who knows what their talking about, than I'm keeping it.

If your in Texas go see Don Tidwell in Dallas area. He is the big rig automatic transmission shop that knows all the 2 pedal and 3 pedal automatics like the back of his hands. He has a website too I think.

Verdel Thanks this.
  5. Verdel

Oct 26, 2013
    Very good info ow-op-wolfman. I will replace these sensors and will see if the problems are gone.

6. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    When I got my truck with 3 pedal eaton 10 speed autoshift first thing my mechanic converted it to regular 10 speed manual. I paid $2000 for all job. The problem on these older transmission wiring issues, sensors and ecm. Automatic transmission sooner or later you will have problems, manual- runs forever.

Dino soar and Verdel Thank this.
  7. Helowrenchturn2

Helowrenchturn2 Medium Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Yep, manual never breaks. Pfftttt

8. Verdel

Oct 26, 2013
    It would be nice to convert to manual and the display for the gears, still lights up the gear I am using. I know this is impossible, but just saying.....

I will try to fix it first, if the box can be fixed for less than $1000, if not - shop in Chicago, quoted me $1700 for the conversation...

9. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I dont know how many miles on your tranny but my transmission already had 1.6mil miles. They converted it, replaced both seals (becauce oil leaked bad)and all bearings, checked all gears. So depending mileage If I were you I would also invest more and rebuild like I did.

Verdel Thanks this.
  10. Verdel

Oct 26, 2013
    No leaks, but I can hear some noise on 5th and 6th. This truck was pulling reefer, the tranny has about 800k miles. You are right, if I do the conversation, I will check all the gears and bearings. Resurface the flywheel, put a new clutch.

11. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I used to convert autoshift to manual

At first glance it seems that u can fit shifting tower on x-y motors place... but really tranny tops are different and I had to make adapter plate. It is better to use aluminium, but I made of 5 mm steel.

step #2 - installing range control air valve, neutral air valve and it would be good idea to install electric range downshifting protection valve (and add wiring to ECM)

step#3 - rewiring VSS, range protection valve, reverce light, reprogramming EECM

baha and Verdel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.