Conway driver apprentice program ?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Cooper09, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Cooper09

Cooper09 Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I am looking for info on the driver apprentice program...
    Has anyone went through it ?
    How long have they had this program?
    Is this a company wide deal or just in certain areas due to demand ?

Any info would be appreciated. I believe this is for the LTL division.

Thanks in advance:biggrin_25520:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    LTL division only in certain areas with the facilities large enough to accommodate it. The program as it stands is only a few years old but we have million milers that have never driven for anyone other than Con-way.

Not sure how old you are or what your job experience is but if you wanna drive a truck and make a good living jump on it. You're locked in for one year I believe but this job is in a different class than the TL jobs that lock you in for a year - you get the same wages and you'll be compensated for everything you do just like someone hired off the street with experience. We have this program at my terminal and million mile drivers do the teaching then once you pass you'll ride with experienced P&D and line-haul drivers for a week each while you're doing on the job training. Have no idea how long the program takes but it has a top notch reputation and you'll have experienced LTL drivers showing you the ropes.

Con-way Freight can be a tough place to work but I'll say this... I would not drive another truck unless I owned it... Was lucky enough to find this company when I was 22 and despite the BS that goes with the job, I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about making driving a career. Made $82,500 last year and will be around $87,000 this year with a little over 6 years in here.

Cooper09 and Boonie Thank this.
  4. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    jakebrake12 hit everything on the head.. I just started about amonth ago at a larger Conway frt terminal in Northwest Indiana...so far its been ok..no major problems..If yu r going to be in trucking this is the place to be...so yu can be compensated for everything yu do...

Cooper09 and jakebrake12 Thank this.
  5. Cooper09

Feb 10, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Thanks guys... It seems like a good outfit. I would also be at the Gary terminal. I have spoke with them on the phone once they seem very professional.

6. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    After 5 years there you can add the third box and get the triples rate - should be pretty high by then..

It has its ups and downs but if you're gonna work in the trucking industry this is a really good place to be. I remember when I started it seemed like I would never hit top rate or get a line-haul bid but I put in my time and this is now my second year running night line-haul at top rate. I went from the bottom guy at the terminal to being well over the middle of the seniority roster at a terminal with about 160 drivers in a little over 6 years. It can be hard at times, but if you're patient and put in your time you'll be able to make great money and bid a time or line-haul run you want.

Cooper09 Thanks this.
  7. dr5169

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    I got lucky...only spent 2 weeks on the flex board..now i am doing linehaul at night...most of the guys there said thats unheard of...

Cooper09 Thanks this.
  8. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Wow.. Completely unheard of. Took me 4 1/2 years to get a night line-haul bid. That's good though - congratulations!! That will make your first year here a piece of cake compared to most.

Cooper09 Thanks this.
  9. dr5169

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    I will keep yu posted on how it goes...

Cooper09 Thanks this.
  10. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Please do.. If you have any questions along the way just ask and I'll do my best to help..

Cooper09 and cudafish71 Thank this.
  11. Cooper09

Feb 10, 2010
    NW Indiana
    In the job requirements it says forklift exp is good...how much freight do you guys handle ? Do you unload at each customer too ? Im kinda a noob so any info is appreciated lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.