Conway driver apprentice program ?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Cooper09, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,

lol looks like we both did it at same time bro.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dslfish

dslfish Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    In the clear
    Thanks for the responses ACH1130 and CenturyClass, I do appreciate it.

4. dslfish

dslfish Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    In the clear
    Would a line -haul and a feeder driver be considered to be the same thing say for FedEx or UPS ?

5. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    somewhat. With line-haul at CWF you will drive to the hub then work the dock for a few hours. At YRC, old dominion, abf, and estes you dont have to work the dock but could stay out overnight until the loads ready or if its a far trip.

the feeder drivers you could do multiple trips, i know with fedex ground its 100% drop and hook

6. dslfish

dslfish Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    In the clear
    O.K. , I understand. Thanks again for the input. This forum is a great source of information.

7. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    I dont know if you want to get into the industry or not, but I would make sure to do you homework one every company you want to work for. I know a majority of the common carriers so any questions feel free to message me. I know what companies are good to work for, what aren't and what will train you

and yes this website can be a good helping hand

8. dslfish

dslfish Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    In the clear
    Thanks again for the info. Yes I'm going to get into it here soon (hopefully). I've had my class A since 93', but only used it for working in the electrical utility industry for moving trenchers and backhoes to and from jobsites. Currently working on getting all of the endorsements on my own and will be getting fingerprinted this week for my HazMat. Friend of a friend has some work lined up hauling gravel local, a regional reefer run, and a couple of OTR runs as well. Kind enough to put me to work (hopefully a little of each) so I can "cut my teeth" so to speak.

9. silveradoman298

silveradoman298 Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Warren, MI
    I'm thinking about entering the OTR biz and have pretty much come down to Conway TL as my final choice, but I do not currently have a CDL. I am wondering what the best way to go about getting into the industry is. Do I go to the local DMV and take all the tests myself and get a CDL, or join a local truck driving school and get a CDL, or join conway's apprentice program? What is the best way to get in without experience?

10. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    If you are looking into truckload, they do not have an apprentice program. Thats only for freight. From what I understand Truckload will take graduates out of a trucking school. I would honestly get every thing you need yourself at the DMV like I did. I went to freight after passing my road test and they hired me and trained me.

11. dslfish

dslfish Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    In the clear

So freight is different than LTL ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.