Conway driver apprentice program ?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Cooper09, Mar 20, 2010.

1. dslfish

dslfish Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    In the clear
    I asked the wrong question. Truckload is different than freight ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jeremyc

Jeremyc Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2012
    The Great Lakes
    If you are looking to get into over the road and are considering Conway, the first step is to call the Conway Truckload recruiter to make sure they are hiring in your area.

To get your CDL, currently Conway has a few schools that they work with and they will pay about half of the costs associated with that. The recruiter has all the info and helps getting that set up if you qualify for hiring.

I know this info because my girlfriend is going to be attending school so we can run team and Conway is currently in our top 2 of companies to work for so I have spoke with the recruiting department very recently.

Good Luck.

4. Newtrucker83

Newtrucker83 Medium Load Member

Apr 15, 2012
    USA
    Hey would you happen to know how much of their freight is touch-less?

5. Cschaffer220

Cschaffer220 Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    Working ltl, almost none. Unless your a very senior guy with a long Linehaul run and you get to turn and burn both ways.

If you're p&d, you will be working the dock a lot. Linehaul, you work the dock at the fac until your trailers are loaded.

6. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    thats very unheard of at a LTL company... AT my company we have two accounts that we do a drop and hook. One you need to have senority to see, and the other isnt that far away from the terminal so they send any one... Not to be rude but if you are looking for a no-touch trucking job, LTL isnt the route to go, the no-touch jobs are very very hard to come by these days from what Ive heard from guys who been doing this for a long time

7. Dieselman1313

Dieselman1313 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    Im new to the forum here and Im currently in school for diesel mechanics and I'm figuring out that its not my cup of tea. Im interested in driving for CW but I have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do I have to have my class A license or can I have my permit and apply for the apprentice program?
    2. How is the job outlook looking like in the NC area?
    3. Are you guaranteed a job once you finish the apprentice program or do you have to then apply to the company?

any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8. QBall3577

QBall3577 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    1. Do I have to have my class A license or can I have my permit and apply for the apprentice program?

If you go to Con-ways sponsored schools you have to have your permit when you go. That entails just taking your combination vehicle, air brake, and i'm sure one other test to get the permit. Study materials are online, generally at the DMV website. The only company that has an apprentice-like program is Prime..

2. How is the job outlook looking like in the NC area?

When I was there I was in the NC area alot... did quite a bit of pickups in Mebane and Charlotte areas.

3. Are you guaranteed a job once you finish the apprentice program or do you have to then apply to the company?

During the first week of school someone from recruiting will come down and take down all your information.. or verify what you already gave them.. I can't remember which. So, in essence, your doing your application both before you go to school AND while in school. Then, once you graduate you will be picked up the following monday morning and taken to Con-way HQ to start orientation. I don't know how the process is done during orientation now but I know others have spoken about it around here.

Check your messages... I just sent you one.

Dieselman1313 Thanks this.
  9. Dieselman1313

Dieselman1313 Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    Thank you mystikyl that helps me out a lot and thank you for the link to that website that helps too. Do you happen to know if the ltl apprentice program is any different or is it the same?

10. QBall3577

QBall3577 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    Conway Freight is a totally different side than CWTL and operated totally different as well, so I can't speak to the LTL side. I know there are a few LTL guys on the board... hopefully one of them can chime in for you.

Dieselman1313 Thanks this.
  11. GottabeGood37

GottabeGood37 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Il
    I see a lot of useful info on here I've been loading and unloading conway trucks for years throughout the warehouse i've worked, a few years back I went out and got my CDL and well, like most couldnt go over the road and was stuck back in a warehouse... Long story short.... Conway finally called got the interview coming up for there trainee program anyone got any tips that could help me out ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.