Conway Local?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by steven77, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sometimes that's necessary. I often find shoddy routing on my manifests in the morning, and since my stops are often 20 miles apart, I can't afford to do a whole lot of backtracking. So anything oversize definetly has to be loaded in order, and I'll unload the whole truck if necessary and redo it the right way.

What I don't understand is since I almost never have more than one delivery in one ZIP code, my stops can be routed off the state of MD map, and sometimes they still get it wrong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. amkmike

amkmike Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I just had a interview in houston waiting on my backround check trying to understand how p&d work any advise you guy can help me thanks

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, basically you're handed a stack of bills in the morning, and you go deliver them. Dispatchers assign you pickups that you may be close to, and you get those when you can.

5. amkmike

amkmike Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I got a call back to take a physical and drug test , waiting for corporate for ok, even got my offer, 17.50 per hour, They tell me my duty will be a mix of dockworker LTL & P&D,

6. truckdriver402

truckdriver402 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Orwell, OH
    Again, no one has updated this in a while. I am trying to get my foot in the door at the Neville Island, PA location. I am hoping someone will take me. I have the endorsements.....I have trucking experience (8 years - just not pulling doubles), P&D experience, road experience, safe record, non-felon, etc.

Come on, Con Way!!!!

7. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    could you get your doubles endorsement? Anyone know the min they require?

8. truckdriver402

Oct 17, 2007
    Orwell, OH
    I do have my doubles endorsement, just no experience pulling them.

9. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95

I didn't see this. Ask away and I'll tell you what I know about Con dash way - the good, the bad and the just plain stupid..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  10. truckdriver402

Oct 17, 2007
    Orwell, OH
    Hi JakeBrake. I just stumbled onto this myself, actually doing a search for Pitt Ohio!!! I was hoping you'd see it.

I have read on other posts on here (again, found by accident) that Central Transport only pays straight time, which sucks. The information is old though.

I went by the Con-Way terminal in Neville Island and turned in my app. I applied via email (that is what the ad on Hot Jobs said I could do) to a Robert Mc....(they don't like us usung full names on here). I mentioned that I had already applied at Neville Island with a true paper application.

I've never pulled doubles, which scare the HELL out of me. However, I do have the endorsements I need to work for the LTL's now!

During Christmas a few years ago, I worked at a mail hauler and we had guys who worked there part time who worked for FedEx full time. They told me they need doubles but never pulled them. Is it true that you work your way up to doubles? I assume line haul is taking a set of doubles from point A to point B, swapping them out, and coming back. Is that right?

I can't believe the money in LTL is so good. PJAX has an ad that looks pretty good:

PJAX, INC. LTL regional trucking has openings for F/T CDL class A city drivers with hazmat, 2 years safe driving. Full-time includes:
    · Start rate $16.63/hr + ot
    · BlueCross/BlueShield medical benefits
    · Free life/long term disability insurance
    · 401 (k)
    · Paid holidays, vacations & personal days
    Applications accepted 7/20/09-7/24/09 9:00am to 4:00pm

US Mail pays straight time, so 16.63 WITH overtime sounds good to start.

There are other "freight" outfits around here that will pay next to nothing too, by the way. What area do you live in? I can tell you who they are...Point is, it amazes me that some freight companies can pay bad (11/hr) and a place like Con-Way will pay almost 18 to start PLUS benefits.

I am sorry if this post seems scatter brained, I just got up...:biggrin_25518:

Anyway, let me know any info you can and I will let you know what I hear on my end. I just did my application Friday night and already want to start calling with "Did you get a chance to look at my application yet?"
    I'm chomping at the bit to get a decent paying job. I have so many apps out now, that I worry I will jump on one and THEN Con-Way or FedEx will call....or, if I don't take the one that calls, NO ONE will call and I will have essentially shot myself in the foot. I worry a lot. Being laid off SUCKS.

Again, sorry for being scatter brained.

11. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    I see your predicament. Out of the LTL's you listed FedEx and Con-way are the best jobs. They both have advantages and disadvantages but are pretty close overall. Don't worry about the doubles either. I thought the same thing at first - after a few weeks you get the general feel for them. The hardest part at first is hooking them. When you're used to a long trailer it is hard to back a pup at first - let alone the dolly.

I'll call a couple drivers at Neville Island today and see what they know..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.