Conway TL student orientation

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by navywill, Aug 11, 2014.

1. markperez

markperez Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I will thanks. I am not so worried about the DMV as I can point to the DOT rule and show I can tell the difference. I am more worried about con-way as they can have higher "standards" for a company

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MissJyss

MissJyss Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Florida
    CWTL won't test you for color blindness. At least, they didn't when we went through orientation last year in Florida. I'm pretty sure it's just something the DMV does. :)

There is really no need to worry about CWTLs orientation. Their biggest thing is being honest. If you've messed up iin the past and don't tell them about it, even if you "forgot" and they find out, you're gone. Also, their agility test isn't the normal crawl under and into a trailer. It's a little more in depth than that.

To the O.P., you guys will love driving as a team. My boyfriend and I have been team with them since October of last year and we make very good money. They are always fair to us, keep us running, get us home often, and give us an extra day off every time were home if we ask for it. The other awesome part is they put teams in trucks with less than 20k miles on them and will only keep you in them until about 200k miles. Try to get an International or a Volvo, only because the KWs have no room for a team. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. :)

navywill, hal380 and markperez Thank this.
  4. markperez

Jun 9, 2014
  5. navywill

navywill Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2014
    One concern my wife and I had is that we really wanted a company to train together. After much research we discovered that Covenant and Snyder train spouses together. After talking to people from Covenant we ruled them out based on feedback we were getting. Snyder pay was lower compared to others but we were willing to make that sacrifice to be together. After further research we found out Schneider didn't allow you to install inverters and this is a huge negative for us...so the search was on! Called lots of recruiters talked to lots of truckers and spent a lot of time in forums and I narrowed it down to 2 Companies. Conway and Total. Conway def. Number one choice but total had some good points and as I was doing my last dig for info their recruiter told me they didn't have female trainers .. This was a big negative so my wife asked if they would train us together. So after the recruiter pulled some strings and talked to some people they are willing to train us together... And yes I got that in writing...they had never done it before but it was idea they were considering and they decided to let us be their test run. So I email Conway to let them know I had decided to go with someone else and to start our Journey with Total. Then I get a message from the recruiter with Total that we would have to wait 4 weeks before our trainer would be available... This wasn't in agreement with what she had told me before. Then one of Totals representatives came to our school and he wasn't a recruiter but was very unprofessional so it left more of a bad taste in our mouth. So I called Conway recruiter to seek her forgiveness for our little episode with the other company. So back to my original number one choice of Conway. I feel good about the choice and I'm very excited... Still wish we were training together but its a msmall sacrifice to make!

double yellow Thanks this.
  6. markperez

Jun 9, 2014
    I like that "seek her forgiveness" part. How was the sleeping arrangements going to work with you and wife being trained together? I would think it would very uncomfortable with two people in the top bunk that neither of you would get very good sleep. One of you could sleep while the other drives then switch half way through but you would have to sleep in the bottom bunk and what if the trainer sleeps there and doesn't want anyone else to sleep in there. Just seems three people in a cab for the whole training period would be very tough so I think it will workout best for you two. Best of luck hope to see you at con-way when I finish school and if I get hired there.

7. navywill

navywill Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Well not sure how total was handling the team training but Schneider would put the trainer in hotel room at night while the trainees sleep in the truck. Covenant, I think has a constant rotation.

8. markperez

Jun 9, 2014
    sweet deal for the Schneider trainer but sounds like the Covenat trainees don't really get much use of a trainer.

9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    When I went through Covenant's training there were 3 in the truck. The students basically drive team right off the bat and the trainer alternated between passenger seat & sleep. Not ideal, but there is at least more "training" than having the trainer teaming and asleep every time you drove

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  10. markperez

Jun 9, 2014
    How does Con-way tl handle trainer/student driving?

11. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Student drives...finisher/trainer is on-duty, in the right hand seat trying to get the passenger of the month award. Solo clock...the way it should be. I only drive to give student a break, or out of sheer boredom or to give them a short break before going into something intense like Chicago or New York. But less than 1000 miles over the whole training period.

putter, paul_4lp and rroney7768 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.