Conway Truckload; A Very Low Paying Job

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Surfer Joe, Jun 13, 2014.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    You make a very good point! Even when you are asleep in the bunk you are still working. I live in my truck and work for myself so it is a wash but going company is a losing proposition.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JAL1972

JAL1972 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2014
    I would absolutely LOVE to see all of us truck drivers working by the hour. Pisses me off seeing a truck waiting to load/unload, driving in slow traffic, being pulled-over, stopping because of weather.
    I hate to know that guy is far away from home, from loved ones, alone. I hate to know there's guys like our fellow driver, who is resigned to work to pay his debt, sacrificing more than he really wants to know.
    Ask normal 4 wheeler drivers, if they know how otr truck drivers are getting paid. They'll give you a look like "by the hour, like any other human being on this country". Tell them the truth. Tell them how many days away from home is the industry standard. Maybe, next time they are driving near an 18 wheeler they will give that trucker some space, and some respect.

TankerP Thanks this.
  4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Be careful what you wish for because I am sure many trucking companies would love to pay drivers $10 an hour or even minimum wage. $10 x 70 hours is $700. And you can kiss your detention, layover, breakdown, and extra stop pay goodbye since you're being paid hourly with no overtime either since truckers are exempt from OT laws.

88 Alpha and Lenham Thank this.
  5. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    As I said before I live in my truck - it is all tricked out - so home is with me all the time. I work by the contract and make a good deal more than I could earn by the hour. Your comment about what the trucking companies would likely try is true though. They would probably offer $10/hr. A more accurate rate would probably be at least $20/hr. However it is all conjecture 'coz that are never going to do that. They know which side their bread is buttered or they would have already done it. Probably something to do with labor laws or something.

6. markealy

markealy Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2013
    EL PASO
    heck ii made 67k last year 59k 55 kk 57 k 58 k 56 k 71k teaming 71lk

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  7. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Drivers aren't paid by the hour because they are out on their own with no supervision so they use a production pay system. If they started paying by the hour people would start slacking off and getting paid to sit in a truck stop watching NCIS. What ideally should be done is milage rates should increase. Forget hourly wage arguments, IMO. If anything, detention pay and layover pay should be the primary focus of any revamped pay structure, not driving time

Lenham Thanks this.
  8. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Wow! You live in Mexico and you make that kind of money. I think I should move south. Never quite got that teaming thing. I don't think you make anymore teaming than single but I am always ready to be corrected.

JAL1972 Thanks this.
  9. JAL1972

JAL1972 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2014
    I get OT at the oilfields. I'm earning money till I hit the yard till I leave home. That's how it SHOULD be. Time is money. You are working since you hit your yard till you are leaving. How many hours an OTR driver have in a normal week? Let's be reasonable. Let's cut all the off duty hours, but count all others. How many hours at $7.25 a driver have in a week? how many after 40 hrs? if you didn't hit your yard, OT must keep counting. Your OTR week must be since you leave till you're back. But its just a dream. 37 cents a mile...wtf.

10. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    What can I say? You are right.

11. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    I love it!
    :biggrin_25525::biggrin_255:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
    JAL1972 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.