Conway's 30 day limit?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Goin4gold, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Goin4gold

Goin4gold Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Just talked to Conway today and found out I'm a week past their 30 day limit for applying as a new CDL licensee for training driving job. Do you think if I apply now they would consider me anyway?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Not sure what a 30 day limit is...does it mean they can't commit you to the school because the school is booked for the next 30, or they need 30 to figure out if you meet the criteria for pre-hire or something entirely different?

I suggest talking to the recruiter one more time and figure out the the "30 day limit" and then you should be able to answer your own question.

Good luck!

4. Roadrealtor

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Oh...one other thought. This happened to me. I got my prehire and scheduled for school on Sept 7 coming up. My recruiter asked if I could go early if there were cancellations. I told her yes and they had a cancellation back on Aug 2nd. I couldn't make that one but they had another on Aug 23 (day after tomorrow). I took that one and will be flying out tomorrow.

Bottom line on that is see if you can get pre-hire for a certain date in the future and make yourself available for an earlier class. Your recruiter will love you for that! It shows you are both committed to Conway and willing to wait and flexible enough to help them out of a jam. I call them Brownie points.

Again, good luck to you G4G.

5. Goin4gold

Goin4gold Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    The recruiter said they only take training driver apps if you were issued a new CDL A within the last 30 days. I fiddled around with Swift, then after orientation they told 33 of us there was a shortage of training drivers, so go home and wait to be issued a 'code number'. They brought us over to CA telling us to be prepared to be gone 6 weeks. Wonder why Conway would exclude people after that 30 day period? Bummer! :biggrin_25511:

6. Goin4gold

Goin4gold Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Where are you going for the training?

7. Roadrealtor

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Ohhhhh that 30 day window! I didn't realize in your opening post that you already had your CDL. Man that is a bummer after swift strung you along.

Conway isn't the only one from what I hear. Lots of them have that rule...probably an insurance thing since so many do it. Only guessing here but I suspect they consider finishing with a trainer to be part of the education process and if you have that time lapse, then your education was interrupted and you are no longer a typical graduate candidate.

I am going to Crowder College in Neosho, Missouri. Starts tomorrow, runs 5 weeks, and then goes right into Conway orientation.

I haven't heard of waiting more than maybe a week for a trainer with any company. You gotta beat beat up on Swift and if they don't respond see about hiring on with a Mom and Pop or an Owner Operator. You don't want to let too much time go by from getting that CDL or nobody will touch you.

Man that sounds like a dirty deal taking you to school, graduating you and then hanging you out where you can't get hired.

Ask the right questions so you can decide if you want to wait for them or move on. If they trained you and didn't put you with a trainer, ask what you did wrong in orientation. If they say you did nothing wrong, then ask if it is their company policy to put you through school, tie you up so you can't work for them or anyone else and how long you have to wait after you get that code number.

You gotta beat them up, cry hardship, do everything you can to get through that finishing stage and finish out your commitment.

They are the only ones that can get you turned around. Remember, if you look at outside companies and your commitment to them hasn't ended, you may have to pay for the schooling (assuming you haven't). If you paid for CDL school, then get back to mom and pops or O.O. to get your experience.

Again, I wish you luck.

8. QBall3577

QBall3577 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    goin4gold, Swift is a training company.. its one of their top missions (i'm a former conway driver & now night dispatcher at swift). At conway youll find more experienced drivers as most have at least 3 or 4 years driving.. at swift the requirement is only 6 months driving to be a trainer.

9. djtrype

djtrype Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    New Orleans
    Only reason I can see the "30 day limit" existing is because they think after you've been out of school more than 30 days you haven't retained the information necessary to drive the truck and would be a risk as having no prior experience.

10. kaylord84

kaylord84 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2010
    For driver apprentice does con way let u use there truck to take the road test # the dmv or do u take it at their yard and the state exaimner comes there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.