Cooking as otr driver

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by Jamestuc80, Sep 6, 2020.

1. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Portable Fridge/freezer. I kept mine set as a freezer at minus 8 degrees, since I also had a built-in fridge in the truck. This allowed me to stock up on fresh and freezable food when I got the chance to visit a grocery store. Mine is a Magic Chef that I ordered from Home Depot for about 500 bucks. Runs off both 12 and 120 volts.

Counter top oven. About the same size as a microwave. But much more versatile. Kept it on the shelf where you would normally have a microwave. (about 100 bucks at walmart)

Deep electric skillet.

Instant Pot.

Microwave. I built a shelf over the end of my bed by my feet and secured it there with a strap.

With these, I could cook anything I would cook at home. Maybe a bit more messing around since you don't have a full sized stove top and multiple pans, but still very doable. It's an investment up front, for sure. Especially the freezer. But it will very quickly pay for itself when not having to eat out of the truck stops. If I was going to skip one of these items, it would be the microwave. For actual cooking, the counter top oven and the deep skillet are much better, and can be used to reheat most things. However, the microwave was handy for quickly reheating food with minimal cleanup. Especially things like soup, or chili.

My truck at a 1800 watt inverter like yours. So I had to think about power management a bit since it could only handle one high draw appliance at a time, but that really wasn't much of an issue for me. Just couldn't say run the microwave and frying pan at the same time. But it had no issue running any of those on their own as long as the truck or APU was running.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmoothBore

SmoothBore Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The Desert
    Something I always wanted to know is what’s the smell situation like? All the cooking odor and smells and what not, doesn’t that get in your bed sheets and clothes and then they smell like whatever you were cooking?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.