Coolant hoses.. Mack

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by MackRookie, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MackRookie

MackRookie Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    These coolant hoses are cracking on me from the clamps, is this very normal or do I have a bigger problem building pressure? In this pic the hoses cost 300$ it's leaking really bad lost half a gallon of coolant today. Should I loosen the clamps and push the hose up and try to save changng the hose or is it time to change it? Leaking from the top of the hose after the clamp 20180205_131748.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    It's an elephant hose where a smaller hose is going up from the side that' where the leak is not the fat hose you see but the small hose connected to the left of it going up.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Unfortunately, that's the 1 hose that costs you an arm and a leg because you can't get it anywhere else. Best thing to do is suck it up and replace it, because if you try to get by with shifting things around or taping it up, it'll just blow out and leave you on the side of the road where that same hose will triple in price because a service truck will have to fetch it and bring it to you along with coolant to fill you back up. If it's after-hours, you might be SOL 'til a Mack dealer opens up again, which possibly means towing your rig into a shop, depending upon whether or not you were able to make it off the road to somewhere you could sit for a while.

Best to just fix it right ASAP while it's convenient for you, rather than waiting until it decides to let go.

5. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks man but is this normal because this is the 2nd hoses it' doing this from now.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Depends upon how old they are. Might go through a period where it seems you're changing a hose every other week because they'd all been on there a while...then you'll go a few years without any issues because they're all pretty new again.

MackRookie Thanks this.
  7. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    what a screwed up turd of a design, im glad my Mack does not have that hose. i wonder if you could make up a t with some tubing and use regular straight hoses to couple the ends.

MackRookie and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  8. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    so after repairing all the hoses after 800$. I was looking at the radiator cap... so I call Mack Volvo asking what is the right lbs for the cap. they said 16lbs so I bought a new cap not from them they wanted $50bucks ordered a cap from Amazon for 15$. so I take the old cap off it says 18 lbs.. iv changed thermostats spent alot on coolant last 3 months.. This was the problem I think... #### the guy I bought the truck had the wrong cap the whole time lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.