Coolant leak upper radiator hose

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, May 17, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Im having a hell of a time getting the coolant to stop leaking out of the upper radiator hose on 2016 freightliner cascadia dd15... I saw it leaking about 2 weeks ago, looks like the hose clamp worked itself loose and cut a pinhole on the bottom side of the hose and coolant was spraying out... So i just put a new radiator hose on it, the frickin thing is leaking just as much . except its leaking from where the hose connects to top of radiator.. i cant get a tight seal from the hose to where it goes into the radiator.. Ive got the hose clamps tightened as much as i can without stripping it out..No amount of hose clamps will give me a tight seal... Doesnt leak when idling but leaks when engine is under a load.. Very annoying, any ideas ?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I say pressure test and take a closer look. Maybe it's not leaking exactly where you think it is? If it is coming from the joint in question, inspect both the hose and neck for damage. It doesnt take a tremendous amount of torque to hold 20psi or less on the clamp. If your using plain Jane Breeze screw clamps, consider upgrading to contant torque or higher quality clamps.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Are you using constant tension clamps, The type used on air to air cooler, If not that might work.what about double clamps, or a one piece spring type constant tension clamp might work I had that problem with new silicone heater hoses, Kept tightening, eventually sealed up.Ive never had to, but some permatex # 1 or # 2 on the metal part, or maybe a thin layer of silicone. I like the old permatex.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The one piece constant spring tension type, The kind you compress with channel locks, work better than most think. And they won’t cut into hose. But you probably have Constant Spring tension clamps, called silicone clamps, because of the inside sleeve, designed to not cut into the hose. They’re hard to get tight sometimes, because of the inside sleeve.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Sure the radiator inlet isn't cracked?

Intothesunset and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Thanks for the replies. I inspected all the radiator and the inlet where the hose fits on and they are good as new, no cracks, i put a pressure gauge on it and it tested fine , held pressure , leads me to belive no leaks. I hate to take it to the company shop because they are friggin morons,and i was just at home, this was my first load out from the house, but it may be what i got to do. ive got the spring type tension clamp on it right now, the one u screw like a regular hose clamp.. i figured it was just leaking because it was brand new and hose was stiff and needed to get hot and get tightened up some... I came up from phx up here to salt lake utah thru all them dam mountains and it still leaking .. Im gonna pick up some of them clamps ur talking about @Rideandrepair see if that fixes it... Its just annoying to fix something and then it starts leaking again , they dont call em crapcadias for no reason,, thanks for the replies fellas @Dave_in_AZ @Rideandrepair @Goodysnap ill let ya know how my luck turns out

8. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    fellers, after closer inspection, i found a hairline crack in the radiator inlet neck... and now ive got a check engine light shooting emissions codes for a dpf cleaning...and plus ive got a air leak coming from the fittings on the catwalk all this after i just had a pm done last week...i gueess when it rains it pours.. to the shop this crapcadia goes and to the hotel i go.. yall be safe

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Think someone suggested that. DPF cleaning unknown. That might get cleared with a regen. That truck doesn't have an APU does it?

Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    no apu on it, codes popped up as i was doing a regen on it. went to shop they plugged in computer and code was for ash cleaning (SPN 3720 FMI 15) . my company wants it sent off for cleaning and fix all the other #### while its down.. whatever their truck not mine. stuck in SLC til next week probably. to bad this stuff couldnt happen when I was at the house.. funny how that always happens...

Dave_in_AZ and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Yea if the ash count is full, it's gotta be baked. Probably 3 days.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.