Coolant loss

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by 4noReason, Apr 6, 2017.

1. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Ok so im adding coolant. A lot. Like 2-3 gallons a day doing 600+ miles in a day. Now i took it to mechanic and hes like he sees nothing wrong. I look at some receipt i had from freightliner said def header coolant valve leak. So i see when im stopped its leaking. But it was after i was parked. Could it be while im moving its leaking from there but i see it on bottom of tank because it seeps down. I want to make sure it isnt drinking

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    do you have any external leaks maybe old coolant did you check air tanks to make sure not ending up there

4noReason Thanks this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    usually Cascadia leaks from that def heater solenoid valve and from cracked radiator tubes.. check the radiator. remove bumper to check the radiator.

4noReason Thanks this.
  5. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    Ya so i went to a shop. At first couldnr figure out squat
    I got underneath truck. I found def underneath tank leaking. Issue # issue#2 ok so steer tire go straight across in middle of truck. Lots of coolant dripping there. Lots. Bingo. Now i left truck there. And im hoping i get an answer and issue fixed soon. Time will tell. Just happy i seen the leak. As long as its not internal. Question is what is it. Its by engine but like in middle of it like where steer tires are but across them. Hard to explain area. So curious to know

6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    EGR cooler? That would lose a lot of fluid, but not show where. It also wouldn't lose when sirting.

7. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i know where the coolant is leaking from i just had a cascadia with same issue probably compressor coolant lines. just had on that had a pin hole leak i could have sworn if was leaking from top but it was actually realising it with psi.

8. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    Yes thats exactly what it was lol. It was fixed. Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.