Coolent leaking but not overheating

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by The Highway Hustler, Feb 27, 2020.

1. The Highway Hustler

The Highway Hustler Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Ok like I said to other driver I’ll check in the morning pre trip the hose n cap may jus need to b replaced I’ll grab both OTR tomorrow n just replace both on my 10hr break if I pull off hose will I have to drop radiator fluid and where exactly is the thermostat doesn’t it sit up against the water pump

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

If I were you, just tighten it, and then check to see if the leak is gone. 90% of the time, tightening will solve the problem. If not, you’ll need to replace the hose. When tightening the clamps, do not tighten them too hard or you can break the plastic reservoir and radiator.

You’ll need to drain a few gallons to remove the coolant hose without spilling anything. The hose on the radiator, I’m not sure.

Also, it’s possible the reservoir cap is still good, and whoever tightened the cap accidentally closed it incorrectly. The cap needs to be completely flat and even when tightening. This is because the reservoir is made out of plastic.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Your system is being pressured by the engine, you could have a leaky head gasket.

Edit - replace the radiator cap first.

Remove some of the coolant as mentioned.

If the dealer did the work, bring it back to them to have them check it out, there should be no charge for it. They should have a coolant system pressure gage they can use to see what pressures are in the system.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Ridgeline said it best, have the Dealer pressure test the system. This will check for leaks, making sure it’s holding pressure. Then the second part of the test, they can start it up,and watch guage to see if it’s building excess pressure. If so, there’s a problem, maybe a costly one, involving a new head gasket, head, maybe even a liner issue. Probably not, with such low miles, but the best way to know, and stop guessing, is to have it tested. They can even test caps for you. If you’re feeling ambitious, go to a big chain auto parts store, they’ll rent you the kit for free. Utube, for more info. It’s pretty simple stuff.

PE_T and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  6. The Highway Hustler

Jun 25, 2019
    What I did was along my route I jus monitored it not loosing fluid and I been in west cost hitting the mountain passes no over heating. I managed to stop at dealerships along the way grab new radiator cap I’m replace three of the 4 hoses dealing with radiator and replacing all the self locking rings D rings whatever they called the one from water pump looks new because i jus had that replaced last year the others jus look a lil worn and clamps literally was able to grab the last hose today in Montana off 90 at dealership.

7. The Highway Hustler

Jun 25, 2019
    My next question is if I don’t drain sum the fluid because 1 idk how n 2 I don’t have a flat enough bucket to catch sum the fluid if I do it on a cold motor should I be ok I’m sure I’ll lose sum fluid not a biggie got a few gallons on hand just would like to make sure it ain’t gone shoot out n spit out everywhere once I remove the hoses n top it back off I should be alright

8. The Highway Hustler

Jun 25, 2019
    Jus tryin to do a quick fix otr until I get back home this weekend

9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Hoses will develope a cold water leak as when engine is shut down and cold. Is this what this is? If you haven't done this, I would check after shut down in cold temperature for a long while. For telltale drops.Tighten clamp as already stated. I have even added another clamp, if you have room, and its actually gonna tighten on the surface under the hose. The cap you have already replaced. Then after engine has worked hard and heated up, like on a long upgrade, pop the hood asap and see if the leaks are dripping then. Where does your overflow go. Or that probably is the overflow tank. Saying this I remember a truck I had that (older no overflow tank) would burp out excess coolant especially in hot weather until it found its normal coolant level range. May save a trip to the shop. If none of this works then to the shop where work was done as someone said.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.