Copying identification cards at shippers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I'm not a lawyer and don't play one on TV, but I'm confused and angry.

Over the years, I've been to shippers who've asked to see my ID(driver license) for verification purposes. No big deal....
    I've been to a few who've crossed the line by taking copies without saying anything more than 'it's company policy' and unable to establish any legal authority for it. Company policy does not establish a legal authority. When they push it, I use my TWIC, it's a legal, government issued ID, just one that has no significant personal information, right? Some have outright denied the TWIC, even after I've said that was good enough to take freight for the government that began and / or ended at a government facility (mostly military bases, but one pickup was at the Denver Mint).

Having been a victim of identity theft, it's a huge problem that took 5 years and an attorney that wasn't cheap to fix.

Can someone explain the legally permissible purpose for this? Why do we accept it as status quo without even questioning it?

I'm tempted to insist l get a copy of their ID, stating my policy is to get it from everyone who's taken my information without a legal authority..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    Crude Truckin' and W923 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you have all 3 credit reports frozen it won't matter if someone steals your ID or not. A credit freeze is what you should get, not some alternative sounding phrase. Nobody, not even you can open new credit if you have your credit frozen.

It is free to freeze your credit & free to thaw your credit. It takes about 30 seconds to do either one. Life Lock is not the same. A credit freeze is like a deadbolt lock on your door.ife Lock is like not locking your door but renting an Unauthorized People Stay out sign for $15/mo.

86scotty Thanks this.
  4. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I know that, but that's not the point.... I do that already, I'm just trying to limit who sees my identity information to only legal purposes. With enough accurate information, so much can be guessed by those who have the patience. My grandmother was also a victim several times in recent years, we stopped that when she signed a POA to my parents for both medical and financial decisions, which got her accounts significantly cleaned up and organized. My dad died since, but my mom had to transfer that POA to my uncle when her health took a significant nose dive and access to her $ was seen as an asset when she needed to apply for increased medical benefits under Social Security assistance. These changes didn't stop the attempts, just the success of them.

What if someone takes your information, creates identity documents so that weapons can be purchased, then uses them in some sort of a crime? That purchase can be traced to you and that may not be as easy to prevent or fix. I know that would be a stretch, but not entirely unthinkable.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    Reason for edit: Additional thoughts
  5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Have had the same problem. Know too well what it takes to get it fixed. Not fun.

Never hand over any type of Id.
    They are welcome to look at it in my hand.
    No you don’t get to make a copy of it.

I do not allow any ID, bank card or other potentially important items out of my hand.
    If it has to be swiped on something, I am right there and watching. Always look at the device. If it looks sketchy. That’s a NO.

The “It’s company policy” line gets tossed out, my first question is; Can I please have a copy of your company privacy policy. When they say they don’t have one, I follow that with “ my personal policy is not to allow any personal information to be shared with anyone that does not have a privacy policy. This includes making any copies of any personal documents.

The “you won’t get loaded/unloaded” line comes out. I say fine with me, good day. Head back to the truck. Call office, tell them what’s up. You would be surprised at how many times they change their minds.

My company is fully aware of this. Never have a problem.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Let's see... This driver is hauling our stuff and we want to have information on who they are, just in case they decide to steal it.
    Because, like identity theft, it happens.

2 way street, and a catch-22 either way.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

7. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    That's what load tracking is for, whether it's through the ELD, via direct phone call/text message, or other device (company provided, not mine). I even had one where the shipper put a tracker device in WITH the freight(yes, they told me, it was buried in one of several pallets somewhere between the header and the door; the receiver would locate it, turn it off, and UPS it back for reuse).

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    A credit freeze doesn't stop accounts from being added.

It only prevents credit from being looked at. And is a PITA for a temporary UNfreeze. (Equifax)

9. 50WT

50WT Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Walmart pharmacy will ask for for ID when I pick up my meds. I've seen them scan the bar code on the back of DL . I give them my CC license, they don't scan it , just look at it and type info in the computer. They don't like this because it takes a few extra seconds to type in info.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I had to pick up an RX of Valium for my wife at Walmart. They said they had to scan the barcode on my license per regulations. And I made sure that's all they did.
    As far as at shippers/consignee I'll let them see it, but it doesn't get out of my hands. Most places will take TWIC and one place accepted my Concealed Carry permit.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's already illegal to use someone else's ID to commit fraud. A credit freeze & a PO BOX will prevent 99% of ID theft but people prefer to pay others for ineffective suscriptions & hope for the best crusading politicians money can rent.

Do you think arguing with a shipping clerk will change corporate policy or just make you number 807 on the list of 53 drivers getting loaded on her shift?

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.