Coronado CB setup?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by J Rich, Dec 10, 2018.

1. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    Well I'm supposed to be getting a new Freightliner Coronado glider next week. So, naturally the order of business is to get the CB up and running. From what I've seen of it the CB is mounted in the upper cabinet and doesn't fit anything bigger than a Cobra 29.

Where can I mount the larger Galaxy without hacking anything? I will also be running power directly from a battery source. Is there a power point inside the cab like off the fuse box?

I'm sure the coax is subpar, but may run it for the time being as long as swr is satisfactory. Do the doors or mirrors need to be grounded on these trucks to achieve a good trans/receive?

By the looks of the antennas you can't do much more than a 4' or 5' antenna. Without getting over 13'6". I've got 2 4' Francis, and 2 Wilson 2k. Guessing I'll see which works best.

Any thoughts or experiences with these trucks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    1). Where do the antennas mount? What type of trailer?

2). The latest Cascadia fuse panel is behind the passenger dash. Easy access to BATT common +/- cables.

3). I’ve a 579 Pete with a sleeper back antenna. Have a 5’ Skipshooter on an SS spring. It’s about 4-6” above the dry vans we haul. In 30k miles it’s doing fine.

4). As an alternative to a larger Galaxy, consider a Uniden 980 or (better) something from President. AM/SSB.

5). Add a 100W RM ITALY KL203 (size of a cigarette pack). Fused for 12A. Will do 75W easily. Velcro to top of radio. Velcro radio into cubby.

6). The real kicker is a digital signal processing audio speaker, such as the WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER. You’ll hear others that you didn’t know were out there. Cleans up noise like nothing else. There’s good reason the HAM operators who like them LOVE them. So do I. Have over 200k on mine. Including off-road oilfield.

As you disregarded this advice earlier, read reviews on eHam or at WWDX. I have “big” radios, and can (properly) mount the speaker over/behind my left ear. No, the radio doesn’t matter. No, the location won’t improve things like these will.

7). There are several good microphones. RK56, Astatic 636, Ranger 198. All noise cancelling. Some power mics MIGHT be worth trying.

That radio, amp & speaker can all run off a 15A factory power in the overhead. No changes. (Consider this a great way to start).

Hear. And get heard

Get a radio tech to upgrade the amp wiring and then add disconnects for the devices in a custom power lead set.

We’d recommend Ray Brashear of RAYS CB SHOP in West Memphis, and several of us would recommend CLAYS CB SHOP in San Antonio. Also BOBS CB in Pennsylvania. (Keep these names).

There’s some guy out off 85 E of ATL. And a shop down south of ATL.

A). The speaker and an RG8X coax jumper from DX ENGINEERING. $200 plus $16 (A big retail site Great service).

B). The amp off eBay or 88Radio. $70 plus ship.

C). The best radio to fit the cubby from an inexpensive source. No need to open it up. $120-$300. From a Uniden 980 to a President Lincoln II.

If the radio has more than 4W it needs to have a variable power control.

D). If top load antennas are best for the locations, a number of us are well-pleased with SKIPSHOOTER. American made. About $27 ea.

E). Stainless mount studs from TOP GUN TECH (Bobs CB in PA. Who has a big retail site. Great service).

Take your time and read around. Others will be here to help, too. You want to upgrade as you go along, fine, but this way you’ll have a rig that will go in any truck AND perform.

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  4. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Some stock images show thru-arm coax to west coast style mirrors.

So, if you’re going to upgrade:

BOBS CB has a co-phase set in RG8 with FME ends (small) to add connectors once installed.

I took apart the Cascadia overhead to run power down to panel. More trouble than it was worth.

But if you do the coax, then it may be worth it. A NAVONE 700 DC Filter will fit behind that panel.

Predator 10k antennas.

How good a stud to mount them or any other would be the question given the mirror. Have to pull mirror backplate off.

If there’s room, a PALOMAR ENGINEERING CMC bead choke

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  5. J Rich

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    I appreciate the info, but I'm not buying a new radio and amp. My Galaxy puts out 125+ watts and is fairly new. Now knowing I can run to the fuse box under the dash will make it easy to get power to the radio. The antenna are on the ends of the mirrors. That being said I will need to use a durable antenna as I am not just hwy driving. I am off road and a lot of city streets with trees and low clearances.

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I think the interior around the radio atea is like the evelution,if so just use the vent holes as a way to put a few bolts down theough and attach factory bracket....
    Not a 100% sure but i think fuse box is regulated so i would suggest some anderson quick disconnects and run to battery..It will take time to search out some routeing for pwr/gnd but it can be done..If your running that kinda power make sure your running 10ga wire otherwise output suffers..
    If you dont have an ext speaker now be sure to match ohm on the ext speaker socket to correct ext speaker..Yes the sound volume will be impacted some..
    If i were you i would run 1 coax(times microwave lmr 240 with amphonal end soldered not crimped) and 1 ant....Get some wide braided ground straps and do 2 on each hinge of drivers door to cab(hinge bolts)and be sure to clean off any oains or clear coats..
    @125 watts you dont need a big air coiled ant,the wilsons will do fine till you wanna go big n bad..
    Cant think of anything else off hand..

J Rich Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Oh ant studs..NO CHROME ANYTHING type stud,they end up as junk...Wilson makes one that like a hd alumium stainless colored,12.99 i think..Much much better design..If ever at a cb shop,grab a roll of that black tar tape like stuff ment to wrap around any connections to stop rain water/melti g snow n crap from seeping into your connections and possibly grounding out your ant...Forget what its called but its tacky as heck and moldable....

J Rich Thanks this.
  8. J Rich

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    How far would the power supply to the fuse box be regulated? If I put a multimeter on it would it read? 12.4v? 13.4?

I have 8ga.wire beyond the factory Galaxy 10ga harness.

I have the fat Wilson stainless antenna studs. Just not sure if they fit under the mirror cover.

I have the braided ground straps.

The antennas is just what I have in the garage. I have 2 Wilson 2k, 2 4' Francis, 2 5' FSii, 2 6' Skip Shooter, and 1 5,5' Francis.

Not sure I want to run new coax unless I have to. Seems I'm only keeping a truck for 6 months at a time.

9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

As far as dc voltages go, you should see around 12 volts without motor running. Should be around 14 volts with motor running.

10. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I’m on rough roads too from time to time. I’ve been using a Hustler FG27 4 ft antenna for over 5 years now, and it still looks good even after hitting a tree branch from time to time.
    Also they make the Hustler hq27 antenna that looks the same as the fg27, but it’s 55 inches instead of 4 foot. They are definitely durable antennas.

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    If your keepin it for 6 months sux..Would love me a glider..
    To be honest i would just run a cobra with a lil amp or somethin inexpensive till your in a full time trk...
    Otherwise you may do somethin to your good radio with poor coax connections,broken ant ect ect..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.