Coronado for dirt work?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by matneyenterprises, Apr 10, 2021.

1. matneyenterprises

matneyenterprises Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2020
    I drive for a buddy of mine right now and we do end dump work hauling locally around the Colorado Springs area. From time to time we haul to Texas or OK because I guess they don't have big Purdy rocks there. And we have drop decks we haul hay on occasionally. I'm going to buy a truck of my own in the near future and trying to decide if I want to stick with the older and high priced trucks like the big power 379 I drive now or pay cash for something older that will at least haul loads and I can pay cash for...or find something in the middle. How would a truck like a Coronado with DD15 power handle the Dirt world? My boss bleeds yellow and the shop that does our tuning is very anti ISX. But they've never said much about the DD series. There's an 08 coronado in my area with a 500 dd15 at about 850k with an overhaul with Paperwork in addition to new turbo and injectors, engine harness, egr valve/cooler and new dpf in the last year/100k. This seems like what you'd want to see if you were in the market for a truck of those miles and the asking price is $35k. If a Coronado isn't the truck for that, what is? Not a fan of the plastic trucks. Ran a century in the oil field and ended up using load straps to hold the hood on for a while because it couldn't take the roads. Sorry for the book. Thanks in advance

baha Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    If you ain't buying new, buy pre emissions. ESPECIALLY that 08! STAY AWAY FROM IT! That ####er will break you in emissions repairs.

matneyenterprises Thanks this.
  4. matneyenterprises

matneyenterprises Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2020
    The emissions would probably um....fall off.
    I've also looked into a clean 2000 Classic xl with a 525 red top. I don't know much about the n14 but heard they are bullet proof and also heard to stay away. Ive heard block fretting is possible if you lug the big hp engines. I'd sure rather have to buy parts for an n14 than a newer anything

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Typically speaking the early years of DPF should be avoided. That said I know of a couple owners that had very few issues with the early DPF engines as well.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey, hey, a local folk, I'm near Salida. Now where do you suppose they will find any rocks out here,,,my advice, Freghitliner a good road truck, but not OFF road. Sorry, I've driven them all, and Freightliner just isn't tough enough. Pete either, Great road truck, but not the best off road. Personally, I'd go with a KW. Everybody out here has KW's, and for good reason. They are a great mix of on/off road, and you got some resale.

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I disagree. They build heavy/off road spec Freightliners (122SD comes to mind). The 367H Peterbilt is a popular logging/oilfield truck as well.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm not saying they don't make heavy duty models, I'm just responding to what they are looking at, and I'm sorry, a Coronado is a nice truck, but 'tis no KWhopper,,

AModelCat Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Definitely agree there. Anything "aero" has no place off pavement IMO.

201 Thanks this.
  10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’d definitely get a pre emission truck.

There’s a reason they bring more money.

same reason that a 10 yr old Honda or Toyota costs more than a 10 yr old dodge or chevy car.

This site will Show the auction history. shows the price each truck sold for .
    You can switch it around and have it show different brands ,etc

some of the pre emission trucks sold for big money and some didnt .
    If I was buying another truck I’d get one that sold enough to not have ANY computers on it .
    I’d get a big cam 400 Cummins or a 3306B cat with no computers at all. Just the old fashioned mechanical injection pump. With a 13 or 18 speed trans.

https://www.auctiontime.com/listing...Order=537&scf=False&LiftGate=All&OAuctions=1#

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  11. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.