Co's where drivers don't work the dock

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Thelastofmykind, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Thelastofmykind

Thelastofmykind Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2012
    -What are some linehaul/ltl companies where the drivers are not required to work the dock?
    -What are their hiring requirements?

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Countyboy

Countyboy Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    NONE, LTL always starts the bottom (dock work) up (dedicated line haul) I know of none where you skip dock work and go straight to just driving and I've looked at most of them.

4. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    NC
    there's some regional LTL's that may, what region are you in?

5. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    Container haulers dont touch freight.

6. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    You'll spend some time on the dock at just about any of the big ltl companies - Con-way a lot more than the others so don't consider them. Your best bet for running line-haul with very little or no dock is probably Old Dominion.

7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Not always true. Some LTL's segregate dock work from driving to where the drivers just drive and dock workers just work the dock. Frankly I think that's the preferable way to do it. Not all dock workers are cut out to be class A drivers (assuming they don't already have a CDL and experience), while some drivers are lousy dock guys and should probably stay off the lifts.

i think Estes might be a "drivers just drive" setup.

8. Thelastofmykind

Thelastofmykind Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Ok thanks guys. I am in the very southwest corner, San Diego. I don't mind working the dock but I'd rather either work the dock or be a driver, although a jobs a job so I'll be taking what I can get.

9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    YRC, Reddaway, ups freight, Saia all hire straight into linehaul. I went straight to linehaul for Reddaway haven't touch freight and been on a forklift once for 5 min. I just wanted forklift exp. All in the 7 months I've been here. You have to have the req exp though.

10. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    What he said. I also worked for Estes before and they put me on a bid run. Only thing I have ever touched in ltl is the con gear. Then again I have had the required driving experience.

11. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    My outfit has 3 Full shifts of dockworkers. Drivers are not authorized to use Tow motors to load or unload their trailers. The only reason i go on the dock in the morning is to make sure the pallet jack is on the trailer, to make sure my freight wasnt loaded with a bulldozer and to padlock the door .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.