Could use some advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by diggingthegarden, Feb 25, 2017.

1. diggingthegarden

diggingthegarden Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Hey Everyone,

Hoping to get some good advice on a few questions. I have been browsing these forums and this seems like the best place that I might fight some answers. So here goes. Sorry if the post ends up being a book.

First, I am a veteran. I have been using the gi bill for college, but I am now over 30 and burnt out on schooling. I have 18 months left on the gi bill, but I also do not want to use it on a CDL school. I have been looking and it seems that there are plenty of companies willing to pay for the CDL classes as long as you drive with them for a year or so. That doesn't sound too bad of a deal. A year would be decent to get accustomed to the lifestyle and a little experience behind me. But at the same time if going to a company sponsored CDL school is the worse decision possible I don't mind using my gi bill and getting the CDL on my own. Also would it be possible to just teach myself and show up at the DMV and take the test to get the CDL without having to go to a school? Another thing I have been wondering is what is exactly involved in getting a hazmat endorsement? Is it just a extra test and fee? Or will I need to attend some sort of class? I know it might sound like I am trying to avoid any sort of schooling, but that is not the case and I really don't mind needing to take classes. I just want to know the options.

My next question is how do I choose who to start driving for first? Some of the threads on here I have read about some companies with crappy trucks and management who doesn't care about you and all their loads are always late. I don't want to work for a company that doesn't try to maximize my paycheck and I have to sit around somewhere I don't want to be for 5-6 hours at a time for stupid reasons. My goal is to start with a company and drive with them for 2-3 years and get some good experience. So then I can take that experience and go drive for someone like walmart or UPS. The dream job would be the USPS but i'm not sure what any of those entail really.

Lastly, I have been using weed for the last few years. Average user but consistently daily. Do all companies do the hair test now? Would a CDL school do a hair test or just pee test? I haven't smoked in the last month and a half, and I don't mind waiting another month and a half for my hair to reflect my system being clean (i buzzed it a week after I quit). Should I wait longer before I attempt any drug test? I'm not trying to manipulate anything and want to make sure I don't get screw out of an opportunity by trying to early. Could I start a CDL school now and pass a pee test and then be clean for a hair test for a company after I get the CDL? When should I expect these test to come up as I am starting out?

I appreciate any responses and information to help me out in getting started. Have a great day and stay safe!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location; city/state?
    For private or community college cdl school the DOT physical consists of a urine test.
    Some trucking companies cdl schools now do hair follicle drug test, but most just urine. They do the drug test the first or second day you're there.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    diggingthegarden Thanks this.
  4. diggingthegarden

Feb 25, 2017
    Many thanks for the reply.

Location is Lubbock, Tx.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lubbock is a good location. I recommend attending a private cdl school or community college cdl school. At graduation go with a company that just does urine test. After a few months you can change companies if you want because you have no financial obligation to the company. Find a cdl school that's 160 hrs. and you'll have more options as to companies to choose from.
    Here's a few & all have nice trucks; no junk equipment:
    Magnum Ltd. - drivers on here post they make up to $1500.00 weekly. I'd say the average is less, but still over a thousand.
    Freymiller
    Navajo Express
    Britton Transport - @MrEd is the trainer for flatbed and can fill you in on the urine/hair follicle.
    Danny Herman Trucking
    Abilene Motor Express

Get all the endorsements because they're money in the bank for the near future when you change jobs. When I got the hazmat endorsement it was a 30 question test plus fingerprints at the DMV.
    Get an early start by Google : Free CDL Practice Tests Texas and also watching YouTube "Pre-Trip Inspections."
    The hardest part of CDL school is the pre-trip inspection; the easiest part of CDL school is the driving.

6. diggingthegarden

Feb 25, 2017
    I cannot correctly convey my thanks through this forum for your response, but thank you for not only reading my book of questions. But also for giving a full answer. Had more detail than I was hoping for, and it is information I can expand from.

In the middle of the night no less.

Again, many thanks.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    If you're in Lubbock check Labatt Food Services ... local/regional. I believe they train.

I was picking up there and parked in a spot. A Labatt driver told me I don't want want to park there, because they had some trainees that were going to be parking there and it might not be safe.

8. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Britton Transport, at this time does not do a hair follicle test, just urinalysis. I don't know if that is going to change in the future or not. I'm pretty sure Britton doesnt hire in Lubbock right now either. If they did, it would be for our van division.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Labatt does hire new cdl grads. I think they only run Texas and New Mexico; maybe one other state. Foodservice is a whole different animal in trucking and some drivers like it just fine. I didn't like it because I have little patience with village idiot employees that permeate grocery stores.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Good suggestions from Chinatown! Maybe also consider a Company that has van, flats or others that you could change to once you get the experience and nudge to try something different! For me Beer delivery sucked due to those customers who want to count every can or bottle and the ones that had a specific delivery time or else. SMDH!

11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Hazmat is easy, just study the handbook and the questions in each section. Get your tanker endorsement while you are at it. They are both just a test and a fee, no classes required. You get three chances to pass then you gotta pay the fee again. Best of Luck !

Just passing by Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.