Counterbore Cutting

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by AModelCat, Dec 16, 2018.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just wondering if I need to have liners and a spacer plate on hand when cutting counterbores? Or can they be cut without them?

92U 3406PCTA CAT.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Personally, I would want my shims, liners, spacer plate, spacer plate gasket, hold down bolts/washers to verify protrusion if someone is cutting them or most likely you are sneaking the tool group out the back door on a Friday. Since you have it out of frame, have you considered decking it? Sure water grommet spots look pitted. Can always hole saw them and epoxy them too. It is all simple math to figure your protrusion, but I like to see it with a sled gauge. To add to the topic and debate, I prefer 0.005 over 0.006. I dislike leaky spacer plate gaskets.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Oxbow, pushbroom and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I kind of figured that'd be the best way to go. Kind of wanted to avoid buying any parts until I've confirmed the block is ok to reuse. I'm just hoping my counterbores aren't cracked when I pull the old liners.

Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  5. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I've cut quite a few without the parts. If you do it often enough, you can basically tell what the final protrusion will be within a thou based on all the previous ones. Using all factory parts that is.
    x1 on decking it. If its outta frame already might as well start fresh.

Oxbow, spsauerland and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Originally I was just going to roll in new mains and replace the cam bearings. I'm 95% of the way there so I figure may as well spend the extra couple hours and a few pennies to do it right.

Any idea where a guy can get the block decked? I'm assuming any truck dealer or Finning would be able to do the counterbores and install the front/rear crank seals. The decking has me a bit puzzled to be honest.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Wouldnt suprise me if finning would do it. We have had them linebore and deck in the past. Local engine machine shop may do them as well.

Oxbow, spsauerland and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'll have to make a few calls in the new year and see where I can get it done at. Bare block is definitely light enough to be carted in the back of a half ton at least :)

Oxbow, pushbroom and spsauerland Thank this.
  9. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    if its out of the truck you'd be crazy not to get it done at a machine shop. they can cut all the damaged area of the liner flange seat and fit an interference insert. they do the same with corroded water ferrule surfaces. then the deck the block leaving a fresh surface to start with.

I personally send blocks to the machine shop without main caps fitted. some machine shops can get carried away and want to machine everything even if its not needed. then you get a bill you cant jump over.

most blocks I send get acid bath, required inserts, light deck only.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.