Couple Questions..

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by drive4jesus, May 16, 2012.

1. drive4jesus

drive4jesus Bobtail Member

May 16, 2012
    bremen,ga
    OK,
    I have been employed for about 6 months and I am seeing a few issue's that when I was hired had no idea that I would come across. Is it normal to only average 1800 miles a week, this is the time when freight is moving..isn't it?

Why is it I spend more time in the shop due to trailers not being properly maintained and issue's not being taken care of, such as bad tires, lights not working, ratchets not sliding to secure straps?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Evil_E

Evil_E Heavy Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Dexter,MI
    Well there is a ton of variables for as to why your only averaging 1800 miles per week. I'm sure that you know what many of them are.
    As far as trailers go...it is a problem that most of us on here have discussed. For some reason drivers are not getting the trailers in for PM or to get things fixed. I had one last month that was 14 MONTHS over due for a PM. I heard it mentioned by someone (Sewerman or Jim) on here that there should be a reward for taking a trailer in for maintenance. I really wish that were the case.:biggrin_25511:

sewerman and drive4jesus Thank this.
  4. Danfromwindsor

Danfromwindsor Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    The only way a trailer doesnt get serviced is if it sits at a customer. As long as its attached to your truck it will be serviced when your truck is,so its not a driver issue per se. Like evile syated your mileage has many variables. Are you utilizing all available hours? How long are your breaks? Those two are the ones you can control.

5. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Also...what time do you typically deliver on Monday?

6. Flatbedder 1966

Flatbedder 1966 Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    MS
    Can you explain what you mean when you say you are starting the week with "x" amount of miles? How do you do that and does that shorten next weeks miles?

7. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    The load that you pick up the previous week and deliver on Monday or sometimes Tuesday, that is the first load of the.pay period. However many miles.it.is, that is.what you start with.
    The best way to start the.week in my opinion, is to spend the night.at the.receiver on Sunday. That way you do not.start your clock until.you have your next load assignment. You then have all your hours to get your next load and.get.down the road.
    If.you do not deliver until.10 every Monday, you are putting.yourself.in a hole.

Flatbedder 1966 Thanks this.
  8. drive4jesus

May 16, 2012
    bremen,ga
    Well, as far as breaks..I take my 10 hr, like I am supposed too. I do my 15 min, pti daily and I do my 150 mile load checks. That's it... I get often dispatched on a load mid day, get there, load, tarp( if needed) and then run as many miles as I can...right down to the last 15 min..usually. Then I run the rest of the miles next day..averaging 500 miles per trip, but over 3 trips tha'ts only 1500 miles for the week. based on using 2 days to make the trip. This happens all the time.

9. drive4jesus

May 16, 2012
    bremen,ga
    As far as monday's I have been getting loads on thursday..and having to wait on delivery till monday morning. An the sad thing is the load is usually 600 miles or less..

10. lonelyswmtrucker

lonelyswmtrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2011
    down the bayou

good grief, who do u drive for?

11. drive4jesus

May 16, 2012
    bremen,ga
    do i get to be a smart butt, to that question...hehe...I drive for Maverick?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.