Couple questions

Discussion in 'TMC' started by booth793, May 20, 2017.

1. booth793

booth793 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2013
    spoke to recruiter off and in this past week. Looks like I'll be headed to tmc. Have limited experience from current job, driving shuttle truck just on company property. So I'll have to start and go through the whole program. Everything I've been told seems pretty honest and fair. I have read a lot of forums here and post over the past few months. Only question I haven't found a answer too is after orientation and going out with a trainer do they make you team drive ? Seems a lot of the other companies I have looked at do this but haven't seen a answer to it for tmc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2_Scoops

2_Scoops Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Weeks 1-3 with your trainer you do not team drive. You will drive most of the run, trainer may finish if your clock runs out. Weeks 4-5, yes your more or less team driving but even that is kinda hit or miss. For myself Tuesday of week 3 I started to run the truck on my own for the most part, to include the loading and unloading / securing of loads. But that was because I was ready and asked my trainer to take a step back and let me do it solo. He just watched and checked that I was doing it right. If your not ready for full team then it just doesn't happen. I'm on my last week of training now. We stayed out for week 3-5 and I'm happy we did. I have gotten very confident in my job and have been able to really focus on the training. I'm now getting the itch for my own truck. Long story short, don't worry about the team driving part cause it's really a case by case thing. And it's never truly team driving, it's more of a transition to solo operations. I hope that answers your question. Feel free to ask more if you need clarification on anything.

4. Hsauer87

Hsauer87 Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina
    It really depends on your trainer, you may team a lot or not at all. Just up to you and your trainer. But TMC really does not have true team friend. Usually I do 1k mile runs overnight when I have a trainee

5. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Your being a trainer for the money doing that. More time should be spent on load securement and backing

6. Hsauer87

Hsauer87 Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Parkton , North Carolina

Im glad to know that you know how i operate and what i do every day!

7. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Ya , I got a good Idea. I was a trainer for TMC as well.

8. Detroit diesel 2000

Detroit diesel 2000 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2017
    What is orientation like? Going to be going threw the get your cdls program.. do they do alot of testing or power points?all i have heard is its fast pace. Any input is greatly appreciated....or advice

9. Blinker

Blinker Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2017
    First of all, you are being evaluated every minute of every day. It is a 3-week interview. Even at the hotel. We started with 7 CDL students and graduated 4.
    WEEK 1: Day 1 is DOT physical and Drug screen followed by the Tarp test. Lift the 80lb steel tarp and the 120 lb lumber tarp onto a trailer and steel coil. Check out the video on Youtube. It's all about technique when lifting the tarps. Do it wrong and you will blow out your back so listen to the instruction.
    You will spend the first week taking scored and unscored tests (General Knowledge and DOT must be passed, so study again before you get there) and learning company policies, hours of service, and load securement. You will be told to have all the modules done by Thursday. How you get them done is up to you because they won't make time for you. You must use good time management. Take the 6 AM early bus everyday or be prepared to stay late everyday to get them done!
    WEEK 2 You begin pre-trip, driving, and backing everyday. Your first DOT test the following Wednesday will be pre-trip. Inside the cab and then outside on form A, B, or C. Fail the in cab and you are done. You will be saying, " It's tight and secured, not cracked or broken......." in your sleep. You will be on the early bus everyday and on the late bus every night. Get used to it. They are preparing you for the long days in the truck ahead.

WEEK 3: Pre-trip every morning, driving and backing until Wednesday morning. Wednesday morning is your Pre-Trip test, backing maneuvers , and DOT driving test.
    Thursday more driving most likely and helping students behind you in the backing yard and learning pre-trip.
    Friday you graduate and leave by 3:00 PM to meet your driver trainer.

Knuckle down and don't be a knuckle head. Remember, you are on a 3-week interview!

Highway Sailor Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.