coupling a tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by fluffingston, Jun 12, 2015.

1. fluffingston

fluffingston Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Hey guys I have a question about coupling tankers. I noticed ,like in the pictures below, there is a plate that this kingpin is attached to that is further back from the front of the trailer. In a dry van the fifth wheel would simply hit the front of the trailer lift a little and slide right into the kingpin.

So my question is how do you couple the trailers shown on the pictures? Does the plate with the kingpin slide to the front of the trailer or do you have to have the fifth wheel slightly lower that the front of the trailer when backing up so It will hit the plate with the kingpin properly? Thank you for your input. tanker1.jpg tanker2.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    Same way as any other trailer it just gives it more lift to drain the oil out. I had a sand trailer with 1 bigger than that before

4. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    You couple it like any other trailer

5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Line your drive tires up with the tank fenders like you would the sides of a box trailer.

6. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    Your plate with the kingpin on the trailer should never,ever be able to slide..

7. later_dude

later_dude Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2008
    eugene,or
    You never want the 5th wheel lower than the plate. You might hear what you think is the locking jaws locking, but they could have only locked around the knob on the bottom of the kingpin. This is called high pinning. You can tug the trailer to the point of burning rubber and drive away convinced that you are coupled but you are not. Because of this, when I drop a trailer I always try to leave about 2" of air under the skid and dump the air bags until the skids are supporting the tank/trailer then drive out from under it. This way when I, or someone else hooks back up, the fifth wheel lifts the trailer up those 2 inches and you won't have to worry about high pinning or driving all the way under and past the 5th wheel (as long as you are lined up like the previous poster explained) The plate is solid my tank and doesn't move. This is just what I do and it may be wrong. I learn something new every day.

8. later_dude

later_dude Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2008
    eugene,or
    I never want the 5th wheel lower than the plate. You might hear what you think is the locking jaws locking, but they could have only locked around the knob on the bottom of the kingpin. This is called high pinning. You can tug the trailer to the point of burning rubber and drive away convinced that you are coupled but you are not. Because of this, when I drop a trailer I always try to leave about 2" of air under the skid and dump the air bags until the skids are supporting the tank/trailer then drive out from under it. This way when I, or someone else hooks back up, the fifth wheel lifts the trailer up those 2 inches and you won't have to worry about high pinning or driving all the way under and past the 5th wheel (as long as you are lined up like the previous poster explained) The plate is solid my tank and doesn't move. This is just what I do and it may be wrong. I learn something new every day.

9. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    It's never a hook....until you look ...!

Mike2633 and wsyrob Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.