Covenant refresher info?

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by Hawkeye15, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hawkeye15

Hawkeye15 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I've been cruising the covenant board here trying to find out some current info about this company, as in a week I'll be heading to chattanooga to do their orientation and 3-4 days of a refresher course. Now they weren't my first choice but I gotta get out there to get a little more time under my belt so I can move on to better pastures

Just curious of what the actual refresher course consists of, I was told they have a range where drivers can practice backing and the like, but am wondering if there is any actual over the road driving to practice shifting. And of what else is involved with the actual refresher

I've been out of the truck for 2 years now and am confident that I can still drive, I just need a little time to get reaquianted with a truck and all the little quirks that come with each one.

Have read a lot of negative things on here about covenant, and seems like there's a lot of nightmare scenarios involving being forced to team with strangers, which I am not worried about as I have a partner that is coming with me to drive for them.

finally, is covenant a dry van company only or do they have reefer division that anyone is aware of?

So any info on the refresher they offer and any other info that may seem pertinant would be greatly appreciated.

HeckIGot2Go! and jjf368 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I don't know about the refresher, but if I were you, would hang on for a little while.... because Cov. is going thru a very hard time right now. They just spent over a million dollars with a new computer system just to find out everybody hates it, it is making the job much more difficult and nobody seems to know how to work with it. :biggrin_25513: This past weekend there were lots of trucks sitting, at Hutchins terminal and various other places with no load. I am taking my second 34 hr reset since last Friday.... :biggrin_25510: They just started using this new system last July/04 and everything is a mess right now. Their website is not working.... drivers haven't been paid for over a week... payroll dept hasn't even been answering the phone, so overwhelmed they are... I heard rumors some drivers will drive to Chattanooga and demand payment by Friday. If they are not payed, will quit company.
    Please, find somewhere else to go or wait a little more....

Hawkeye15 Thanks this.
  4. Hawkeye15

Hawkeye15 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Wow, well I definately wasn't expecting a reply like that! I appreciate the info though as it's good to know. I hate to say it that I really can't wait no longer as I gotta get out there and get working, just hope they manage to hammer everything out.

5. Hawkeye15

Hawkeye15 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Hey rocks just wondering of you know if covenant got everything straightened out with their computers or not. Am sitting in the covenant motel in chattanooga waiting to start orientation tomorrow

6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    It's getting a little better as the office folks are learning how to work with new system and computer dept fixing the bugs. We, drivers will have to learn how to live with it. I think it is going to take some time until everything goes back to "normal".... but not really normal cause this system is different and everybody that I know HATES it! :biggrin_25510:
    Cov. gave us payroll email address so that we can ask whatever questions and address any problems.
    Operations dept has thanked everybody for being patient with payroll transition. Said payroll dept and Human Resources have been working tirelessly to ensure timely and accurate pay sheets for all of cov's employees. And payed 6 thousand trips last week.... They are still working on some issues and need continued patience....:biggrin_25526: Said they will make any error correct. That is the "integrity" of the company that's been in existence for 25 yrs, blah, blah, blah... The new email address to payroll for any issues is.... oops... will send that on a private msg. Not sure what happened with those drivers who were planning on quitting if cov. didn't pay them....
    This new system has caused some mess.... The way we get the routing now has changed for worse.... so bad that I prefer to do my own. But since we have very limited Pilots where we can fuel, we must be very careful when planning trip and routing not to run out of fuel... :biggrin_25523: Also, last week some load assignments never got to the drivers... computer glitch, or human error.... I don't know. Drivers got wrong p/up times and dates, caused them to be late, not show up... not good for business.... :biggrin_25513: and not good for company....
    Cov. keeps screaming for more HM teams.... and urges every driver to get their HM certificate.
    Also said that while under a load, each driver can obtain $ 60.00 advance money 3 times per week... :biggrin_25523: So, you better carry some money with you...
    They said freight on west coast is a little slow right now, texas is slightly down, the southeast, midwest and northeast are doing ok to quite good. And Cov. anticipates August to be much better.
    I heard that Safety bonus was removed.... :biggrin_25513: not sure about all the details and changes for new drivers and students...

Wish you all the best. Let us know how it goes.

HeckIGot2Go! and Hawkeye15 Thank this.
  7. Hawkeye15

Hawkeye15 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Appreciate the info rocks, so far everything is going good, got a big class of 40+ drivers in orientation, we had the citation lady speak today and I think she spooked out some of the student drivers lol . The way she was a talking was like that every state and scalehouse is out to get cov. I know I've been off the road a while but I have my doubts about how she was making it sound extreme. I figure be careful do your job and inspections and chances are you'll have no prob. I admit I'm not too happy bout them no longer having prepass due to their scores but I gotta work so ill deal with it.

Haven't started my refresher course yet, should start Thursday, but ill make sure to post about it come this wknd, so others can see what it involves

And as far as the pay goes I guess they changed the way they pay student drivers now just last wk. Think they said they were paying like 400 a wk now, and that if students have hm they can get out of the 6 months teaming in 90 days or upgrade to the next lvl

HeckIGot2Go! Thanks this.
  8. PXI Incorporated

PXI Incorporated Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    I have been driving for over 12 years and have gotten myself into quite a bad situation...
    Working for a company for the last 5 years that won't verify my job as a driving position is what has led me to Covenant.
    I understand that as the industry, through BS regulations, has become so strict that moving freight, making money, and being legal is a job in it self and that the conveniences of Pre-Pass are a much added benefit; it is just that, a convenience.
    Where have the days of working hard, having a good work ethic and making the best of a bad situation gone?
    Like I stated previously, I am going with Covenant as they are the only company that has taken the time and effort to help me get back into a truck. My former company, which in todays standards would have been a "great" company to work for, is anything but. Yes, I was paid $28.72/hr, overtime after 8, double time after 12 and double time all day on Sunday with very good benefits. But like I said, they now will not verify anything other then my hire date, termination date, and have labeled my job title as "equipment operator" and not truck driver. So "good" and "bad" is all in perception and personal experience.
    I have been on here and reading everything I can about Covenant. I am very nervous as I TRULY do not know what to expect come Aug 15. I am aware of all the negative posts here, but again, I also worked for JB Hunt and if you went by what you read here and elsewhere you would think they were the "devil" himself. I actually realized that to work for JB Hunt and be very prosperous and have a great time working for them that you had to have the 3 things previously mentioned but also had to be more intelligent then most.
    Running JB freight was slow for most drivers who wanted to settle for what they were given and not put in MORE time and effort then what was asked of them. I had to, on MOST occasions, contact the shipper/receiver for both p/u and del and set my own appointments. I did this effectively MOST of the time and the other times I couldn't I resorted back to "making the best out of a bad situation". You must understand as a driver that there ARE things you can change with any company as long as you are "professional", "intelligent", and "on-top of your game".
    Example: Would receive dispatch over qual-comm, would have to trip plan "myself, the old fashioned way LOL" figure out if I could except the load then put my own plan into action. Once excepted I would then call the shipper and state that I was ___ from JB Hunt and that we had a driver who was picking up load# ____ but that he could be there at ____ instead of ____. If they assured me that my driver, ME, could pick up early then I would then contact the receiver and do basically the same thing and change my OWN appointment times. If they needed to get back to me I would leave my own cell phone # and state that it was my direct line. I changed MOST of my appointments and would, on arrival to receiver, contact my FM and inform him/her of where I was, hours left to run and that I was empty and needed that load pulled off of me. I would sit for a few hours, usually not more then 4 or 5, but would then get another PPL for approx 400 miles with 2 days to deliver and would repeat the process. I was running between 2800 and 3200 miles a week, legally.. There were a few times I was questioned by my FM but would tell them I was here to make money and I was here to make them money...."not really too concerned with the second but know that I can't make money without the company." Point is, I had to go very far over what was expected or even done by most drivers to make the company work for me and I was very happy. I left to except the position with the "good" company and now look where I'm at. JB Hunt will not except me because of the above mentioned reason..."NO current experience within the last 5 years" B.S.
    Anyway, back to Covenant. I am sure that most of what is said on here and other sites has happened, slow freight, sitting for days, low pay, lots and lots of B.S., but that was going on with most drivers at JB as well. I am NOT the "this won't happen to me" kinda guy, I'm just the opposite, "if it's going to happen, it will happen to me" the difference is that I JUST WONT EXCEPT THAT as final answer and will bend over backwards for MYSELF to ensure I am making out well. My family and I both deserve good things and with a good work ethic, integrity, and smarts anyone can obtain that with any trucking company out there.
    With all that said and all my years dealing with below par companies and knowing what I am about to get myself back into, I am still nervous. Nothing prepares you totally for reality.
    I am going to start my own thread on here about MY PERSONAL experience with Covenant as to give a non-biased detailed view of this company....plus, it will give me something to do while I'm going crazy from being away from home and possible sitting..
    Hope some of you will read this and can give me your thoughts about it...Would anyone like to read about my upcoming experience with Covenant transport?
    Headed there "hopefully" Aug 15th, have to give them a call Monday to set up orientation and bus ticket...

HeckIGot2Go! Thanks this.
  9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    After all you read about Cov. and other driver's experience in this co., you still decided to go with Cov....:biggrin_2556: Yes, Cov. will accept anybody and everybody with almost any kind of record and situation.... BECAUSE they PAY LITTLE... BECAUSE their dispatching is incompetend (except dedicated accounts...) And if you are not planning on teaming, forget Covenant. Now with eletronic logs, solo drivers are quitting BECAUSE of very LOW MILES. If I were in a similar situation and had to choose a new company, I would rather start as a new, unexperienced drive at another co. with a better safety rating than Cov. and that would offer better pay and not force me into teaming on my first 6 months... But I wish you good luck... :biggrin_25519:

10. PXI Incorporated

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    I appreciate your concern and what I am saying without trying to say it, is that I have screwed myself so bad that I can NOT get hired by any other company. I have applied to 37 different trucking jobs. From student to experienced, the fact that I can NOT get my employment verified and the fact that I have 3 tickets (regardless of whether I agree with how I got them) in the past 3 years this is my last shot. They have stated that they will hire me and give me all time credited as OTR and I am hoping because I have no other hope that I can get into the drivers seat of one of there trucks. If not then I officially become UNEMPLOYABLE.

11. PXI Incorporated

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    You know Rocks I was thinking as I was writing my prelude to "life at Covenant" lol! It's on there DAC page on here. But that's another story all together :)

They obviously have trainers, so maybe it will be possible for me to actually HELP out the drivers that do get hired there by training them properly. I am aware that they most likely will expect (even though they are students) to run as an experienced team, but at least if I'm there they will benefit from a true professional guiding them. And although I don't really advocate using someone for your own personal gain, the money would be alot better as well. Do you know anything about becoming a trainer there.
    Also, do you work for them now, as I wonder how you have the inside scoop :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.