Cracked frame!!!

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by jotz007, Apr 23, 2018.

1. jotz007

jotz007 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Where u getting new rails, how much in total out the door?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aces-N-Eights

Aces-N-Eights Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    Work is in process now at Coastal Frame & Alignment in Mobile, AL. Their work is second to none in our area! Took out the drivers side rail and ot got shipped to a company in Vermont. The vendor Coastal uses offers options to upgrade to 100-grade steel (vs the 80-grade used by KW) and have them pre-drilled instead of just blanks. I had other rust issues and decided just to rebuild / upgrade other stuff while it was all taken apart anyway. Fortunately, all the suspension parts (springs, crossmembers, dog bones) were all good so that helps the bottomline.

Downside: Cost. The estimate was $20-25k including the upgrades and repairs. Didn't WANT to spend that much, but it made good sense (IMO) to do it all now while I was already down.

Upside: 6NZ with fresh Gold Kit, reman Eaton RTLO18913, new clutch kit, drums, shoes, and 10 virgin BFG's all sitting in a new frame with ZERO rust - Hell, it's a BRAND NEW '02 W900L!!

Will advise total out the door price when completed.

Vampire, bigguns, Ruthless and 3 others Thank this.
  4. tommygun58

tommygun58 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2015
    East Texas
    Sounds awesome, did you price aluminum rails? I've got a 99 and the rust is pretty bad. I don't understand the plastic coating they use. Seems in inhance the rust.

5. Aces-N-Eights

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    No, did not price aluminum. To be honest, didn't know it was even an option. The new steel, instead of prime and paint, is being powder coated. Hopefully that will help inhibit the rust from returning.... ever. Rust seems to be a huge issue in the late 90s/early 2000s KW's. Dont know what process they were using then, but it does not stand the test of time!!

6. Aces-N-Eights

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    Just a couple of pictures of the "ugly" that had to be fixed...

Attached Files:

Ruthless and Tug Toy Thank this.
  7. Condo

Condo Bobtail Member

May 4, 2019
    I need new rails on my tractor from rust. How much did it cost and where was it done?

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, figure on $150/hour for a week, not including the cost of the rails and all other related parts. Rest assured, it will be in the thousands. It's a big job.

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    PG Adams is a highly thought of company for new rails, either plain or pre drilled. The way I understand it, they have templets for most models, so you don't have to send an old rail in.
    I am not sure where they are located.

Condo Thanks this.
  10. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    You can order any size or length or grade of steel rail from any reputable steel company, drill your own holes, got a frame drill I need to get rid of if anyone is interested.

Condo Thanks this.
  11. Condo

Condo Bobtail Member

May 4, 2019
    Im In Texas and I'm trying to find someone that can do this. Does the cab and motor have to be removed?

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.