Cracked trailer bumper.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Feb 15, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You can keep reporting everything, but you’ll find out soon enough that you won’t be making any good money. Yes, this isn’t the proper way, but if you want to make any money while moving different trailers every week, you gotta learn how to solve it or mask it. If you think about it long enough, you’ll find a (temporary) solution. Of course, every problem is to be treated differently. If the tire is leaking a little bit of air (5 psi per 5 hrs) from a thin nail, roll it and find a tire shop for your 10 hr break. Any major damage to the trailer needs to be reported ASAP by sending a message over the QC, so they’re aware you didn’t cause the damage.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    those cracks were not that bad. there was still a weld around the entire bracket.

now, you're gonna have to bee-bop all around town, finding a welding shop they want you to go to.

had the bumper been much worse, or hey, falling off, then reporting it was something to do.

you basically kicked yourself in the butt now.

i'll also bet dollars to donuts that the next driver would have never seen that.

if you report every little crack, dent, ding, chip, they WILL have you going to find repair garages, many times, in the worse of areas, and good luck finding them, and parking.

if it were me, i'd had not mentioned it. next time, for something THAT SMALL, throw some mud on it.

next, we will be hearing on how you ain't been making any money, and you wanna quit.

Chubby Fly and PE_T Thank this.
  4. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I bought an air hose for this reason. Leaky tires I don’t worry with if I can get them fixed.
    Small holes I call in to report and fix myself (I’ve done that a bunch)
    But structural damage I don’t want to be accused of causing or ignoring I have to call and report immediately and then it’s not up to me on how it gets taken care of.
    Broken mud flap brackets or busted trailer tails or broken trailer skirts or cracked welds. Or when they stick a forklift through the roof.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    we can understand all of that. however, first, if a forklift is sticking thru the roof, THEN call your company ASAP while you are still at the loading dock. maybe a repair crew can come out to you, since the customer WILL BE paying.

tires, yeah, a flat, blow out, either a truck comes out to you, or they send you to a tire shop. most have lots of parking.

but i'll bet that nearly all old trailers have tiny cracks on the bumpers, heck i've pulled trailers that were missing the outer most piece of the bumper, with no cop stopping me.

mud flaps, you can fix your self, or the truck stop can.

but you really did not use your noggin for that TINY crack on the weld. that weld was all the way around that bracket, and that was not going to be an issue for you for the time you had that trailer.

oh well, i reported what had to be reported, and kept quiet on TINY issues in the past. given the many drivers that pull and abuse trailers, you're gonna be "errand boy", each and every time, and i hope that you can still eat that week.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Don’t try patching semi tires from the outside. If a semi tire were to explode, you’ll probably end up with some sort of disability. Check out the exploding semi tires on YouTube. That’s dangerous stuff.

7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    he could end up with the disability of no head.

unless he is using a tire repair plug kit. and if so, why spend the money on that?

that'll be the day i spent MY MONEY fixing a company truck.

we ain't paid to be mechanics.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’ve seen those “semi” tire repair plug kits, and there is no way I’m using those things. I want a real patch that goes on the inside. They’ll last the life of the tire, or at least that was my experience. Some of these interior patches sometimes also come with a plug.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no not on a 100+ inflation pressure. i have had many plugs over the years in any personal vehicle i have had, with no worries, unless the object was in such an area, only a tire replacement was in order, not even an inside patch.

i'll replace light bulbs, and hand in the sales slip for reimbursement, or get a couple from the shop and keep'em in the door pocket, or in the overhead console if need be.

but anything else, no way Jose`. i wasn't paid to be a mechanic, in fact every company i ever worked for, forbid us to work on the equipment.

but back to those cracks, they weren't that bad to start playing Inspector Gadget.

now he suffers from "lookitis" and "loseitis"...he has to look for the shop they send him to, and lose valuable miles and money, that he will NEVER make up this week.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Fair enough. I’m starting to think the headache for working for a mega isn’t really worth it.

Dumdriver and buddyd157 Thank this.
  11. dosgatos

dosgatos Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Never had a problem with this situation. I'd drop it, get an empty and leave because I'm preplanned. Maintenance can send a local with a welder to the yard.
    I'd send the macro on the way out of the yard and if they call let them know I'm already down the road.
    There's a reason you aren't making money.

buddyd157 and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.