Cracked trailer bumper.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Feb 15, 2020.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    One of my trailer tires has a plug in it. Stuck it in 2 years ago. Absolutely nothing wrong with plugging a truck tire.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    good to know.

i'm just so darned conditioned to the tire guy taking the tire off, buffing, gluing, then patching.

i never had faith in tire plugs outside of the typical passenger vehicles.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Assuming you do it right with quality tools and plugs, it's safe and effective. Now if you don't ream the hole out or use those small plugs that they sell in a cheap kit at pilot, it's never going to hold looking term.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. MinionTRookie

MinionTRookie Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2018
    I haven't tried the plugs, but small wiring or airline repairs I will finally pay to do. Company truck, trailer or not. I believe that I will make more money rolling than waiting, and I only have to do this occasionally, I'm not becoming a mechanic, but I get to be a driver, not a waiter. I don't get to complain about the company, but that's ok.

6. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    That kind of stuff is why I do carry a good plug kit, and black tape (I have butt connectors but a proper splice is stronger) a socket set (windshield wipers) and spare air filters for the cab.
    I’d do my fuel filter if they’d let me (instead of waiting 3 hours)
    But I try not to make the same mistake twice. They chewed me out about cracked welds once, so I don’t want there to be a second time.

7. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Oh and just for the ones who thought I was being a #######, I was told thank you and paid breakdown and layover pay both. I don’t report stuff that’s miner because I WANT to but because I’ve been asked to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.