craigslist ad - seems legit

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by kaybea, Aug 13, 2016.

1. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    So you're suggesting that only American born drivers can haul food.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I can find .50cpm craigslist all day long where I am at. Finding .45cpm is not even a effort. Now would I work at any of those companies is another question?

4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    A .50/mi 1099 job has an effective driver wage of .20/mi after "YOU" deduct taxes/SSA/medical.

5. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    I guess that's why I see x.20 on my paste stub thing. I make .40cpm 1099... Currently looking for another job since my truck is broke..

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Is that so?

You sound like you either had some firsr hand experience or you really dont know what you are talking about. Which is it??

I guess the $.47 cpm I made on 1099 and grossing $74k my first yr was really illegal then.

Hurst

diesel drinker and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

You should not be seeing x.20 deduction on a 1099.

You.. you you. Are responsible for your own taxes and deductions.

Sounds like carrier is pulling 20%

Are you being paid cpm or percentage? Are you responsible for fuel or any other expenses?

Hurst

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Well, as a matter of fact, i have had a 1009 job for three years. I paid my quarterly estimated taxes and quarterly self employment taxes. It was a pilpeline job that paid very well, not an under the table, get a driver for the same wages he could make with a regular payroll job, but not have any taxes paid.
    I just don't think you are getting the point of my calculations.
    IF you are getting 47 cents a mile on a 1099, LEGALLY you are respondsable to pay your federal income tax, Social Security/Medicare taxes(15.65%) and if you live in a state with income tax, that portion also. You also need to allow for a disability insurance policy for yourself, as you are not covered by workmans comp insurance of the person who pays you. And there might be a good chance you are not covered by their liability policy.
    You could try not paying any of these, but chances are good, you will get discovered when your employer files his taxes and his deduction for your contract labor isn't matched by a corresponding filing under the social security number on the 1099.
    And if you aren't paying the quarterly SSA, then don't expect a SSA retirement check when you do decide to retire. Or a greatly reduced check due to your lack of having 35 good years of earnings.

Pintlehook Thanks this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Nah nah I gotcha...you know what the deal is. $.47/mi on a W-2 job (with benefits possibly?) is infinitely better than a $.47/mi 1099 job for all the reasons you just stated. There's a reason all the mouse house small timer outfits try to pay guys on the 1099. Easier and cheaper for them.

10. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I was a company driver for a guy here in Columbus that ran like that, but only with 2 trucks. Runs were from Columbus, OH to either LA or San Dog. 6 day turn arounds, live unload at the customer, then live reload and live unload back here in Columbus. It took a LOT of averaging miles/hours to make it work "legally" and still get a 34 in once you got back. Trucks were ungoverned though, so that was nice. And the loads down were always light, like 15k lbs or less. I'll let yall guess what kind of logs we ran. Needless to say I only did that turn a few times when one of the 2 guys who did them were out sick or on vacation. Paid well, but #### that was hard running. Plus, the 2012 KW T660 the one guy ran broke down on me near Phoenix on the way back on my 2nd of 2 runs one time. Spend 5 days down there, in the summer.

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

LoL,.. but its a dry heat!

I had just come off of a 15 yr absence from trucking. With 8 yrs of actual trucking experience, I did not want to work for any of the megas, nor did I want to deal with any refresher courses or contracts. 1099 for a couple yrs to stash some cash away,. buy my own truck and viola. 5 yrs later here I am.

To each their own. We all have our own reasons for doing what we do. I did what I felt would expedite my path to O/O. Worked out well for me.

Hurst

Raezzor Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.