Crane trucking?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Kdub99, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Kdub99

Kdub99 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2019
    Hi I know there alot of highway guys on here but anyone that drives a crane truck. Whats is it like? Hows the pay scale and schedule? Owner operator costs? what are the prices of the cranes? Just looking into differently options
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018

Another "please don't mess up the rates area" they are ridiculously expensive, need to be a journeyman to run them legally. And your compatition can probably afford to not think twice about running you out of business

AModelCat Thanks this.
  4. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    Once upon a time in a land that was then prosperous, called Alberta, fortunes were made with mobile cranes of all types. Some experience, financial backing combined with lots of drive led to success for a lot of guys. I worked for a guy in the 70's that had mobile hydraulic machines. He filled his bank accounts when the Joffree plant was going up.
    Today there must be some big problems for even the established owners. Just look at the five day Ritchie sale in Nisku last May. Wealth being drained away.
    Anyway, its fine to consider options. Due diligence should be a long thorough process.
    Firstly though, why not get the tickets needed and try and go to work somewhere.
    Money is made on some of these projects. Work for wages and have zero risk. Dunno that's just my opinion. Good luck.

5. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    good call Shusquatch. I'm good friends with the managers at LaPrairie Crane here in AB, their red seal journeyman operators are making $200K per year. even in this downturn, there is always crane work.

D.Tibbitt, not4hire and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Even in a downturn Alberta is better off than most other provinces during the good times lol.

D.Tibbitt, not4hire and Troy_ Thank this.
  7. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I think Fox Creek and Grande Prairie are keeping the patch afloat right now. everywhere else here up north is dead.

D.Tibbitt and not4hire Thank this.
  8. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    here's a nice pic from today, the boys from LaPrairie are out helping push a pipeline under the Peace River.

[​IMG]

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The Mac is still pretty busy. No huge projects but that's fine. Keeps all the transients back in the maritimes lol.

not4hire and Troy_ Thank this.
  10. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    yep. they can all stay there and enjoy the fruits of voting lib.

11. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Grande Prairie is meh meh, I’m sitting here 5 days now watching Netflix in the truck. I’ve decided to say F it and take the rest of the year off.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.