Crap! Positive U.A.!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BigRedRider, Jul 25, 2010.

1. BigRedRider

BigRedRider Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Olympia WA
    Well, isn't this just peachy? There I am, second day down in training at the CDL school I am attending, things are going fine. Then, that night, I get a call from a Doctor to inform me that my U.A. tested positive for marijuana.

A quick background here, I am authorized under Washington State law to LEGALLY use marijuana for chronic pain and PTSD. When I decided to go with this course of action (getting my CDL) I chose to quit using the authorized marijuana, and start using Naproxin instead. I stopped using the herb on June 13th, and took my prescreen U.A. on July 16th.

I thought I was good, everyone told me it takes 30 days for it to clear my system. Well, I guess that is all well and good for a small person, but the doc informs me that someone my size can still have it in their system for almost 11 weeks. Neat right?

Well, I know what has to happen, and I have already gotten things in motion for it. I was always upfront with my school about this issue, have provided my documents, but it doesen't matter, we are talking about a conflict between state and Federal law here. I was a patient, not an addict, I had no problem putting it down, and no problem not picking it back up.

So, I have about four to five weeks before I will be returning to training, what is my potential backlash here, and how can I mitigate some of the problems I forsee happening once I actually get my CDL?

In other words. how hard is this going to make it for me it get a job?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. djtrucker

djtrucker Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2010
    ft worth,tx
    hi, and welcome to ttr. ummmm.. im not sure of the answed to your ?. however i am sure there will be some interesting post. i wish you all the luck, and hope the alive helps

4. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I'm no expert, but, between the PTSD, cronic pain, and now a positive drug test, I would say your chances are slim to none, and slim just left town. You may find an O/O who will take you on as a second seat or something, but you would have to get your CDL on your own in this case.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Generally what we hear from the safety department at my carrier is that one hint of something like this in your background, and you're cooked.

This is all just pre-driving, so there may be one ray of hope: If this doesn't get into USIS/DAC or the new federal drug test database, you may get a second chance. That's a huge "IF"...

6. Sgt York

Sgt York Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2010
    raymond wash
    U are road kill, positive UA's are like being blacklisted in Hollywood in the mid 40's, so kid no work for u in this town... or all of USA, as for your reason, will it's lame, like all pot heads no reason to accept your actions, sounds hard but it 100 times worse of what the trucking companys will think of you for the next 4 -forever's

Kansas Thanks this.
  7. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    If I had a nickle for every former Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Pot Head w/ Chronic Pain working for a Temporary job agency. Well... Id be a rich man LOL

Every one of them has a drug habit of some sort. Usually a pill popper, but ALL are pot heads. ALL know how to give a clean UA when the time comes.

Personally, I hope the OP never gets a job in trucking. Truckers have gotten a bad rep over the years, much of it is deserved as the bigger trucking companies will hire anybody with a pulse. I wish they'd get much tougher via the hiring process.

phroziac Thanks this.
  8. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    It doesnt matter what the state of WA says, your under a federal mandate for your physcial and it says no drugs period and very little drinking as well

9. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    yeah but it was for a medical reason. I understand the regs dont care, but the fact is that he switched to a different medication so that he could drive...as far as im concerned, whats the problem?

halfburn Thanks this.
  10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    While I agree with you, for the most part. I have to play devils advocate here.

If naproxin is working now, what was the issue in the past ?

Drug of choice maybe ?

Even the strictest test data shows. You must be a heavy user, to fail a test given in the 30-45 day period of none use.

Hell I passed one 7 days after using pot.

My #### vacation time, it was one joint...you guys can get the hell over it.

11. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    Or he's over weight and out of shape real bad. THC hangs out in fat cells. The heavier you are the longer it stays in your system.

Regardless, though, I agree....must have been a heavy smoker for it to come back hot after that long of time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.