Crete Carrier Corporation - Lincoln, Ne.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by DeadManWalking, Mar 7, 2006.

1. WItrucker

WItrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Is there any OTR from the WI area out there with this company? Do they have a terminal close. Looking to go OTR and was wondering how many miles to expect and how many cpm?

Thanks again. looks like a great company

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I took about five Cabela's loads to Wisconsin while I worked there. Those were #### good runs, boy. I picked those up in Seattle. Yeah, they were sweet. I delivered to the Prarie Du Chien store, but they may have a couple more in Wisconsin by now. So....yes, they do have runs going into Wisconsin, meaning they have runs coming out.

As far as the cpm goes, you'll have to look at their website. I think the Crete terminal that is closest to Wisconsin is in Illinois along I-80. I THINK this is the nearest.

Miles were good when I worked there. They pay practical miles now, which means you'll be getting paid for about 96-98% of the miles you run. When I worked for CCC, I got paid for about 92%, so this is defiinitely an improvement.

4. LostBoy

LostBoy Light Load Member

May 8, 2007
    davenport iowa
    anyone have more info on cretes training? i got a call from them today that im accepted on an 8 week training program, whats it pay if you know? ive got no experience other than school, so im not opposed to that long of a training period by any means. just want to know if the womans gonna be able to keep food in my daughters belly while im gone.

go to get finger printed for haz mat tuesday, and the recruiter we had out made it sound like everyone they recruit is headed to walmart because they need so many drivers.......?

5. haze1

haze1 Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    hello lostboy,

i completed a short 3 weeks with a trainer as i had came over to crete with 8 months experience driving with another company. i recieved $500.00 a week, but i dont know what you would get. i suggest you call and ask your recruiter. i will say that so far all my experiences with crete have been very positive and i have been treated with the most respect you can imagine. the folks at orientation in lincoln nebraska were great. if you can get by on what they will offer you during training i am sure that you will not be disappointed with this company. i just completed my 1st week out as a national driver and i logged just under 2900 miles at .40 cpm, i dont really know if thats great cause i was on a dedicated account with my last company, but i will accept it cause it is just gonna get better in time as i get used to being out here as a solo driver. well, anyways i wish you the best of luck and welcome aboard.

6. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    2 months with a trainer seems excessive, but there's a good reason. It's definitely doable, so don't worry about it. CCC is one of the better outfits, even the BEST when compared to the likes of companies like Swift, and you will be trained well there. If you go to a company like Swift, there is a chance you'll be paired with a trainer who probably needs training himself, meaning you won't be trained nearly as well as you will at Crete. And there are stories all over of people who've seen Swift wreckage out on the highways. Usually these are drivers who've been trained inadequately because Swift skimps on training. You don't need it. Go on over to CCC, spend the 2 months getting trained, and run with them for a while.

7. myndsplyntur

myndsplyntur Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm so glad to hear consistently great information about Crete.

My husband and I are going to school September 4th. We've got our apps in with Crete and they are checking references / etc.

:biggrin_25520:

8. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Glad to hear someone else is making the right move.

I'm not saying your success is guaranteed, but your odds of doing well are much, much better at CCC than at the Swifts of the world.

I won't wish you "good luck", as you won't need luck at Crete to make it work. They're sensible there, and if you work hard and safely, you'll be fine.

9. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    Two months with a trainer IS excessive! After a couple weeks you will be bored. The trainer will have dispensed all his knowledge and will start reverting to trickery to show you what a super trucker he is. A favorite trick is to pull a breaker and then have you do a pre-trip.

Remember - the "Training" is for the insurance company.

Once you have the basics, you are driving to please the trainer. The trainer is just a trucker. He isn't an MIT Graduate. Some are downright dumb.

8 weeks is a long time to spend cooped up in a truck. It is impossible to make this much time, about such a limited subject, even remotely interesting.

Think of truck training in comparison to college classes. Generally, a student spends about 28 days in a classroom during the course of a semester. A class lasts about an hour per sitting. By the end of an hour the butt is getting restless, the eyes are glazing over, the pimply girl next to you looks attractive, and you crave beer.

A smattering of the things you can master (at least functionally pass) in 28 days are:
    1. Introductory Statistics
    2. Differential Calculus
    3. P-Chem (physical chemistry) - add a few hours for the lab.
    4. Theories of Tort Law
    5. OT506M.J Scientific Bases of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (Harvard School of Medicine)
    Now 8-weeks of trucker training:
    1. Driving Time: 616 Hours (8wks X 11hrs X 7days)
    2. Other on Duty Time: 168 Hours (3X8X7)
    3. Talking about trucking time: 168 Hours (3X8X7)
    4. Sleeping trucking: 392 Hours (7X8X7)
    5. Total hours: 1,344
    This is after spending many weeks at CDL School. Either we are really stupid, or the schools are really bad!

Some of this is intentionally exaggerated - so please don't nit pick the details.

The bottom line is:

Just my 2-cents

10. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    The consistently horrible, unhappy, disgruntled have yet to find their way here.

11. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Grinder, great posts. I agree with both. I have pushed Crete, but there is one glaring problem with that pushing......the turnover at Crete. If CCC is such a great company like I say, how is it the jobs there are available? I know some of the jobs become open because old dogs can't adjust to new ways and demands, but that should account for only SOME of those openings. Ditto for those who screw up. This means there has to be a disgruntled group of ex-Crete drivers out there. I wish they'd find this site and speak up.

In spite of all this, however, I'll still recommend Crete. I know the people inside there are much better than what you'll find almost anywhere else. Your success or failure there depends on YOU, not on the whims of arrogant insiders who look down on drivers. At least this is what I found at CCC.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.