Crete Carrier Facts

Discussion in 'Crete' started by Overkill, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Overkill

Overkill Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Attention crusty old Cretons: (Company Drivers) I am a 10yr flatbed veteran who is thinking about going OTR dry van with CCC. I've read a lot of info here at truckers report, but I'd like to hear from so long time drivers. It's clear that Crete has made some policy changes in order to survive this recession. God knows everybody has. But I want to know where it stands with Crete today.

Do they really tell you exactly what route to drive?
    Do they really specify where to get fuel?
    Exactly how big of an annoyance is this on a daily basis? It seems like it would be pretty annoying.

How often do they send you on a scavenger hunt looking for an illusive empty trailer? I saw one post that sounded petty pitiful.

How many miles are you getting right now?
    How is freight right now?
    How much do you generally earn in a year OTR?

These are just a few questions to get you started. Give me the lowdown.

Is it a solid company? Is it too big to be manageable?
    RANK YOUR SATISFACTION ON A SCALE FROM 1-10

I am most interested because that will pay me .44 starting out. I make .45 right now. No other company seems to offer that level of pay in dry van.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

December 2, 2011 by: Truckers News Staff

Crete Carrier, <plus two other carriers> have been named among Top Pay Carriers by National Transportation Institute, publishers of the National Survey of Driver Wages. To earn this award, a carrier must qualify in three critical categories: top tier pay, benefits and carrier stability.

All three companies ranked in the highest group for driver pay and benefits while Crete ranked in the highest group for financial stability.
    NTI’s survey benchmarks thousands of driver pay packages and evaluates carriers on their performance for driver pay, health and retirement benefits, and financial stability. The results are weighted into a single index number and ranked against other carriers.

“We’re honored to receive the Top Pay Carrier recognition. Retaining and attracting safe, experienced drivers ensures we’re able to continue to deliver superior service to our customers on a daily basis,” said Tonn Ostergard, Crete Carrier Corp. president and CEO.

Gordon Klemp, NTI president, said, “Crete Carrier is certainly an industry employer of choice in these three areas, which all drivers are looking for when deciding where they’d like to work. We’re proud to recognize Crete Carrier, Shaffer Trucking, and Hunt Transportation as three of the nation’s best for their total compensation package with our Top Pay Carrier designation.”

4. franktaylor

franktaylor Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    manchester, tn
    i was recently fired from the shaffer side but i thought i'd throw my answers on here since no one is responding.
    Routing ,.... they do give you what they call the suggested route. i followed it most of the time but not always. from what i understand they allow up to 10 percent out of route miles before they will start getting on to you about it.
    Fuel.... they do tell you exactly where to fuel and whether you should fill or in some cases , how many gallons. sometimes i had to go a few miles out of route to fuel which is a little annoying but it doesn't happen often
    Empty trailer scavenger hunts....i've been on a few of thise but again it's annoying at the time but i got over it. i worked for them for a year and this may have happened twice, no biggie
    at the .42 cpm i would have made about $50k in my 2nd year. even though i don't work for them i'll still say they are a great company. i met a lot of unhappy drivers at terminals that say they weren't making money but i'm pretty sure that would have been their own fault , not the company. In my year there was one month, July, which i reallly felt like quitting cuz nothing was going right. i ended up with 4 restarts in a 3 and 1/2 week span but then august and september totally made up for that. During my training i was witha shaffer driver for 7 weeks and then a crete driver for 1 week. seemed to me the crete side was a lot more miles but i think no matter what side you are on they will do good for ya. hope that helps
    frank

Wingman25, mgfg, FCW9 and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    There's a guy with integrity...he got fired and STILL has positive things to say about his previous employer.

Hats off to you franktaylor.

Civilservant and franktaylor Thank this.
  6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    National

Transportation

Institute ?????????

Good source of toilet paper......

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  7. novoids

novoids Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2009
    asheville NC

franktaylor Thanks this.
  8. franktaylor

franktaylor Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    manchester, tn
    thanks guys, i could say there zero tolerance stuff sucks lol but that's about it. to give a little about my story , i got really drunk on my hometime and evidentally did some coke. although i dobn't remember doing it i don't doubt that i did. I would not have a drink for the 4 to 5 weeks i would stay out but then when i would get home i would get so drunk that i would do really dumb things. so if anything i should thank crete for exposing a problem i needed to take care of.. i haven't had a drink or drug now since October 14th and except for the fact that no one will hire me because of my mistake i'm liking the sober lifestyle. i only drove a truck for 1 year before all of this happened and i'm truly missing it now. anyway, hope i've helped in you decision and maybe someone reading this will learn frrom me, if you want to be a truckdriver you need to stop using drugs. even if it's an occasional thing, you will get caught.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Again, you have tremendous integrity Frank!

I wish you success in remaining sober.

10. Overkill

Overkill Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Best of luck to you Frank. Thanks for the info. Very informative.
    I'm curious... Do you know if Crete will entertain the idea of rehiring you after a period of sobriety? A lot of companies will do that. BUT I suppose the liability is just too high in the transportation industry.

franktaylor Thanks this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The one fact that I will always remember about Crete is they got away with murder . They continually knowingly allowed and pushed a driver to seriously violate HOS until he ran into a car loaded with 6 children and it caught fire burning them to death . Crete hired high powered attornies the day after the accident . That fact proves they knew how wrong they were .
    The driver refused to speak to investigators but got a reduced sentence . No charges were filed against dispatch or management .
    Crete was fined over $50.000 but $30.000 of that was for not following proper random drug testing requirements .
    I don't care how Crete operates now . It still has the same management that cared nothing about public safety and murdered 6 kids .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.