Crete lies

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by MedicineMan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Sorry, but as a driver with the Crete companies for TEN years, in my experience MedicineMan is MUCH closer to reality than your claim.
    With 65 mph trucks, 55 mph speeds, and the log it as you drive it delays of crossing the Rockies, I think your boast of even 600 miles as an AVERAGE is totally misleading.
    You claim what would be roughly 3600 miles a week or 180,000 miles per year, a claim I have NEVER heard Crete try to make. Their current ads say that the highest paid driver (at 47cpm) is making over $60,000 year, that means their top drivers are averaging roughly 130,000 miles per year (2600 per week). Don't try to pass off a couple of good weeks as a company average, it's dishonest.

On the other hand, despite what some supertruckers claim, I have never heard of a company driver who averaged even 3000 miles a week. Sure, they may hit that mark a couple of times a year, maybe even once a month on a coast to coast run, but as I've just looked into, there IS NO company out here paying a solo driver to run coast to coast exclusively which is what would be required to get those kind of miles. If that company existed, wouldn't we ALL know about it and apply there?

So MedicineMan DOES have the facts straight in regards to Crete (though I would love to see him back up his claim of 700+ miles a day also).
    Anybody can talk the talk, show me the logbook.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    tell me where to email the pages to. I'l scan them and email them when I get back to the truck where my scanner is. but this week has gone something like. today was Gothenburg NE to Madison WI. dont remember miles exactly but I know it is well over 700. yesterday I did West wendover NV to Gothenburg NE. that is 805 miles, the day before that was Fernley NV to Woodville CA an back to west wendover NV. what is that like 700?? I forget. sorry it was only around 700 that day, i spent 3 hours setting up my trailer so I ran short of time.
    I can post more if you like? This is how I drive, if I am on the road I am driving. My goal is to get home asap so I don't mess around, I drive.
    Oh and I said I get that for every full day I am on the road. I didn't say I did that every day. I do some local work too.
    Oh and tricky Dick, my numbers come frome crete, those are not my numbers, they are AVERAGES, you havn't been there long enough to average the miles yet

4. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    "Fernley NV to Woodville CA an back to west wendover NV. what is that like 700?? "
    Um, 880? 45 miles in NV, then state line to Woodville, CA is 55 mph for 220 miles giving you 4 3/4 hours in. 4 3/4 hours gets you back to Fernley and from there it is another 350 miles to West Wendover, or 5 hours. Thats
    4 3/4 plus 4 3/4 for 9 1/2 hours PLUS 5 more hours for 14 1/2 hours driving in 24. 11 on, 10 sleeper, leaving 3 for the day, with NO allowance for making the grades at reduced speeds or local traffic at your destination in Woodville (and, I presume, another local stop for a pickup). PLUS you say 3 hours for "setting up your trailer"? Come on, that's a 27 1/2 hour day right there!
    I'd LOVE to see those logs!

I'll give you the other two days though West Wendover to Gothenburg at 825 miles thru Salt Lake and over the mountains at full speed is stretching the idea of log it as you drive it. Even so, that's running illegal 33% of the time. What ever floats yer boat.
    Anyone with a 65 mph truck can claim a 700 mile day for a "full day" if they log the speed limit instead of real time. The question is how often do you get a "full day"? Your day to day exploits for that specific run are a far cry from a company driver claiming 700 miles a day average, LOL!

5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    BB, I used to run over 3500 a week regularly. Sometimes I ran 3800-4000. And these miles were covered in 6 days. Believe it, brother. What was the catch? I got paid about 18 cents per mile for each of those miles, and then I'd get a 5-7% map-miles reduction on top of it. Plus, I drove a fast truck on those runs. Yeah, there were plenty of openings at those companies, and for good reason. Luckily, I was smart enough to keep my speed down and protect my driving record. It was all good, as I drove only during the summers to pay for college.

I learned there at least two rules in trucking, and anyone getting into the industry would be wise to learn them:

1. The faster a company's trucks, the lower the pay rate. One will thus have to drive faster and/or longer if he is to make any kind of decent money with outfits that have fast trucks. This obviously doesn't apply to a company like Swift, as Swift has both slow wagons and low pay, but the rule holds true for most of the industry, which makes it good enough.

2. The nicer a company's ungoverned trucks, the lower the pay rate and the faster and/or longer one will have to drive those trucks per day to make any money.

If you get offered a job driving a nice Peterbilt 379 that's all covered in chrome, comes with 18 gears, and has a top speed of 125, step back from the brink. You want no part of that, unless you want to be adhering to the two rules above. Your boss will want you to drive it 125 no matter if you're in Nevada or Ohio. If you don't drive 'er that fast, you'll have to drive 25 hours a day to make up for lost time. If you don't, your boss'll fire you and you'll then be out your 12-cents-per-mile job.

6. Barney

Barney Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Northwest of nowhere
    Over 700 miles a day with Crete will have logs auditing you so fast your head will spin. As I recall that Wi. run goes through Il. another 55 state. If you are running 700 mile days through 55 mph states you better get a new job after eight trips at two safety points each you will be history with Crete.

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    well what I ran may not be EXACTLY what the logs say but the drop off times and the arrivial times back to the shop are right as are the fuel ticket times since I fuel with a visa which has a time stamp on reciepts not just the date. So if I ran and extra hour or so past where I ran out then slept an hour later the next day then so be it. Sorry, I have aid it before here many times. If I feel god on a perticular day I will drive, if I don't feel good or if I am tired I will stop, with my job I have the luxury of being able to run pretty much how I want so that works for me. If I'm tired I'm not going to keep pushing to 11 hours just because I HAVE to get my 11 in. Yes I've been known to drive 14 hours, or more. but the next day I may only do 500 you never know. Back in the day when we hauled produce I wasn't working if I didn't get at least 1000 miles a day(by myself) but that's how everyone ran back then. DOn't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that and I'm glad to see those days gone. I'm not young enough to do that anymore.
    And yes I allow for hills and traffic. I don't haul freight. I drop my trailer, set it up then bobtail back. that is why I could run over 800 miles in a day with 75moh speed limits. My mileages for going out were in the lower 700, not the 800 I had coming back. those were just the mileages that were freshest in my head. And I did give those figures off the top of my head so forgive me if the mileages are not right on. I left woodville CA at something like 12:30 or 1pm (central time) on wednesday and I was back at the shop in Madison WI at 4m on friday I believe it was 2200 miles each way.(give or take a few)

Also I'm not saying this is normal. I know you can not consistantly run/log 825 miles a day, every day. This was just my current trip and it was a god example of how I prefer to run. I did it and now I'l be of for 3 or 4 days.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, now I get it...

He running around empty all the time to make miles like that.

I guess you can do that when you don't have to load or unload anywhere. Only thing is, who's doing that for you?

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Nbody. I don't haul freight, well not very often. I haul mobile medical scanners. I deliver them to a hospital, set them up (which often takes longer than unloading anyways) then I bobtail back or sometimes I do trailer transporting for trailer manufacturers.
    When I do haul freight I haul 4wd electric buggies and they drive on and off. never more than 15 minutes per stop

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well then you DO haul freight. Medical scanners are freight. They're certainly not people.

There are only two things you can transport in a commercial vehicle, and those are freight and passengers.

11. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    So MedicineMan DOES have the facts straight in regards to Crete (though I would love to see him back up his claim of 700+ miles a day also).
    Anybody can talk the talk, show me the logbook.

I suspect the poster who claimed he avg 600 to 700 miles a day running regional is so happy at Crete he could not help embellishing his facts.
    This is quite common even when you talk to a driver sitting around in a truck stop with a mty trl. 420 a day if you don't have layover would be about right given loading and unloading and other things that may waste some driving time. Thats what I avg at the 3 company's I have run west region for. It's higher in the summer but in the winter you would be a lucky to avg 420 a day. At least that is my experience. I try not to max out my drive time every day so that I will have hours to drive throughout the whole week. Last week I did 2763 and never needed to log more then 9.5 hours driving. When I ran cross country for USX when I was at the lower end of their pay scale I was doing 600 to 700 miles a day or more but that was when we ran 10 on and 8 off with no 14hr rule or picky log compliance dept, if you know what I mean.:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.