crete not for experienced drivers

Discussion in 'Crete' started by skipper01us, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Fyrstar

Fyrstar Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Petersburg VA
    I am a current Crete driver, so I can address some of these issues.

1) When I first started a year ago, there were brand new trucks in the yard. They didn't give one to me until I drove their older ones to make sure I didn't wreck them.

2)We don't get paid, you don't get paid. You must send in your trips within 24-48 hours. Timely submission by Friday midnight=Timely pay by Thursday morning next week.

3)Never refuse a load. Tell them why you can't take it, make sure you tell them on the Qualcomm, not the phone. Never call dispatch EVER, lose your phone when it comes to them. Handle all business through your qualcomm (yes, I said it twice, I really mean it.) Call your terminal manager in the am of the next available business day to let them know what's happened. Take the load offered, tell them when it will be delivered. Don't violate your logs.

4) Getting home.... every trucker's nightmare. I'm sorry it happened to you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gator Dan

Gator Dan Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Inverness, FL
    Frystar, and any other current Crete drivers, I am in the application process now. My question is what can I realistically expect. I have 13 years experience and I am driver, not a truckstop cowboy. I'm not someone that counts the days to home. I am about dollars to the house. Not looking for rah rah, just honesty. If you don't wanna be public, please pm me and I will give you my number. Thanks.

4. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    With any new employer there is a learning curve. Once you get past that, and you are the type of driver you say you are, you can expect 2800+ mpw. Many more miles if you are a hustler and know how to use a log book effeciently even while doing it stricktly legal.

Best wishes to you success!

5. Gator Dan

Gator Dan Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Inverness, FL
    I can manage a logbook perfectly. I know how to maximize my hours-earning potential so long as the miles are there. I read how these guys are complaining that they're not making miles and I like to run. 2800 mpw is an easy week. If you know what I mean. I appreciate you getting back to me. B-)

6. Fyrstar

Fyrstar Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Petersburg VA
    OMG, why does everyone say FRYstar? :biggrin_25523: I'm NOT a French fry!!!! People keep saying that and I keep having a desire to go eat french fries. No wonder I can't lose weight.

I'm a FYRstar. FIRE! :violent3: HOT!!!! SUNNY D HOT!!!!

Don't let it happen again, forum! :biggrin_25510: :biggrin_25523:

Okay, off my primadonna phase.

Realistically expect? They will push you as hard as you want. If you don't want, they'll push you harder. I thought I was doing as they wanted me to; I'd deliver early, ontime if stated not early, but I was only doing 7k miles a month. They wanted more and wrote me up for low performance, though I turned down no loads.

I threw a FIT. I told them that if they dispatched me on a load, I accepted, I delivered, then how am I at fault? It would be like me yelling at my kids that they don't get enough allowance.

Then it turns out they were right.... I CAN do better. I started calling con to ask about early delivery. If they didn't answer, I showed up early. I attempt delivery at the consignee and sleep there if I could instead of a ts. I started dropping as early as two days if I could.

Word apparently got out that I was willing to haul asp, so the loads got better and better til I had to come home (and am still here) for personal reasons.

Hometime is good. Day into home, day back to road don't count, so four days are six.

My terminal in Macungie, PA was AWESOME. I don't want to break out the pompoms and cheer for my team, but they and New Kingston were great. OMG getting in and out of Macungie was a nightmare if you use a GPS. USE THE QUALCOMM FOR ALL THAT'S HOLY!!!

Mr. Bill is the nicest Fleet Manager I've ever had. He will listen to your problems no matter how busy he is, and the two girls (Christine and Julie) at the front never had any sort of attitude or unprofessional attitude that I ever detected. RAH RAH TEAM!!! :biggrin_25514:

Turn your trips in as soon as you can, fuel where they tell you to (don't expect a fuel list, you have specific locations), listen to instructions when Mr. Bill tells you to call him, and you'll have a GREAT time with Crete.

I don't know about the other terminals.... I've heard of one that's HORRID to drivers but I've not experienced it so I won't mention it.

Good company.

Gator Dan Thanks this.
  7. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Dan, click here http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ompany-here/34475-crete-a-year-in-review.html if you want to see what is possible. It will be good insight for you.

Gator Dan Thanks this.
  8. Gator Dan

Gator Dan Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Inverness, FL
    Well NOT FRENCH FRY "FYRSTAR", and jdrentzjr, Thank you for all your response. I have been reading the year in review also. I like what I am hearing. I am of the belief that on time is late and early is on time. I like sleeping at my customers guarantee on time service. If I am late, it is someone elses fault and I still take it personally. I am anal like that. I will be running out of Deland Fl but I will be national. I do hope to meet y'all out there and when we do, coffees on me.

jdrentzjr Thanks this.
  9. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    I also used to work out of Macungie, left in 2009 but I still chat with a few guys there. They are making as many miles as they want to. I just talked to a trainer that had a 4 week student and they ran (super solo). His first week (on the team board w/Roger) they did 7300 miles.

10. Gator Dan

Gator Dan Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Inverness, FL
    Well, apparently my company is the hold up cuz they won't verify employment. Grrrr. Am looking forward to the change.

11. rdrnation67

rdrnation67 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Salem Oregon
    Dude my 6 yr old spells better then you.

diesel_weasel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.