Critical Event

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by farmerjohn64, Dec 8, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Don't feel bad. If anyone can royally screw up it's me. I once put a lawyer and her brand new BMW into the grass median at 70 near York PA one day on I-83. It was a major traffic conflict and the only move I needed to make to be sure I did not take out three cars on the right which was what I was about to do.

Anyway, I forgot all about it until that year's Company Holiday Celebration in form of a safety meeting. The big suit poobah got up and then detailed the situation with one of us trucks running the lawyer off the road to all of us. Oh yea I remember that incident. But knew enough to keep my mouth shut. Whatever issues the Lawyer had probably got papered over with a nice check that they write now and then to people who complain. =) //snarky

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    don't worry about that I got to cut people off everyday when I go downtown it's not enough room for truck sometimes just make sure you watch you'll tail

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  4. farmerjohn64

farmerjohn64 Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Haha probably got enough to trade up

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    not in the trucking industry.. well, not past day 2

6. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    I had enough room on my left, it was just an error in judgement lol it’s kinda hard driving sometimes with a trainer riding your butt, he was giving me instructions and I was trying to listen to him, but I’m afraid I’m not good at doing two things at once and when he stopped talking I was a bit lost

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I usually tell new trainers who have been appointed over me two things.

1- Whatever happens, don't yell.

2- Tell me two things I need to know and wait on the rest, if you told me three or more things then I forget the first thing. Or maybe all of it. He he.

And you wonder why there is peace and quiet in that truck.

I had one trainer in my lifetime who was more than good. Awesome even. Taught God how to drive a big rig. Anyway after the third week of radio wars keeping everyone awake in the sleeper (Usually Christian based programs like Unshackled on my part or his part heavy metal music of the long hair kind etc) He asked me if I was a Christian, I said yes what are you?

"Hellion"

ok that settles that part what do we do with the music? We had sleeper controls in those days so it was no trouble to isolate the music to the cab up front so whomever was in sleeper could actually sleep.

We did not have too many problems after that episode.

farmerjohn64 and Coffey Thank this.
  8. farmerjohn64

Jun 25, 2019
    My trainer has some serious sand in his crotch, even though my fellow trainee isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed and asks meaningless questions/always tries to explain his pov when he does something wrong, he obviously isn’t in it because he likes training clueless trainees such as myself; but to be fair, he has his moments lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. brank

brank Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Earth
    These are not critical events in my book. Chill out, man.

x1Heavy, starmac and farmerjohn64 Thank this.
  10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Trainers always seem to get excited about the way other people drive.

I had a trainer that was more concerned that the tandems when making a right turn were kissing the edge of the white line. He wasnt even concerned that there was traffic I needed to watch when making the turn. I made the turn (checking the left mirror). The tandems never went onto the white line. You would have thought he was having a heart attack of if the tandems got on the white line.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    x1Heavy, Hazmat Cat and farmerjohn64 Thank this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Two reasons.

1) if a driver is popping critical events they are statistically more likely to have a dot reportable accident.

2) hard breaks tend to make loads shift which can be very expensive.

20191014_171424.jpg

The driver of this load had a hard break and moved the freight all the way forward.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.