CRST Caterpillar dedicated

Discussion in 'CRST' started by newbietrucker91, Sep 19, 2017.

1. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Will be starting at CRST dedicated on 10/2 out of Waco,TX. From what I was told this is a team only position hauling for CAT. 100% drop-n-hook with weekly hometime. Simply making this thread to post on what goes down on the dedicated side of CRST. Was offered .48 cpm to start, with miles split not pay since co-driver might be making less or more than me depending on experience. So if truck does 4000 miles a week I get 2000 miles @.48.

Will update as time goes by.

Chinatown and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Date has been moved up, and will be starting on 09/25. CRST got me a rental car to drive the 1100 miles to their facility in Cedar Rapids. Will be staying at a Quality Inn 10 minutes away from their facility.

Email asked to not talk about the dedicated division to the other applicants since it usually causes headaches and confusion since it offers much higher pay and home time. Pay for the expedited division is like .22 cpm. For example, on their site they offer 3 other dedicated accounts out of Dallas that require haz-mat cert, that start @.51cpm and get 6,200 miles a week. Actually would of got on to one of those accounts but you have to live within 50 miles of Dallas. CAT account has a 150 mile radius.

Had to due a pre-employment drug test today at a local clinic which was strange. Usually the tests are done on site and it even says on the provided schedule that a drug test is done day one. Will see if I have to do it again or get to skip.

Got to get myself prepped for the long ride up there. Need to look up some 10-speed shifting videos since the majority of the dedicated division are 10-speeds. Plus the road test will be in a 10-speed from what I was told. Never drove one before and the past 2 jobs I had spoiled me in an automatic.

4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    You've never drove a manual transmission? ( in a tractor )

5. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Drove a 9-speed for the first 3 months of my career but spent the last 8 months in an auto.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Orientation will be over tomorrow.

Did good on the road test if you can call it a road test. No backing test with just going around the block and back, 8-min test.

Even if you have a auto restriction they test you in manual. One guy got a pass even tho he did not go faster than 5 mph on a 45 mph road. Never got out of 3rd gear. Took 30 minutes to go around the block but since he did not hit a curb or stall the truck he passed.

Now I know why they did not want us to tell the expedited how much we make. Some guys were both mad and shocked that they were only making .25cpm while we were making close to double and with weekly hometime.

Another dedicated driver showed me his pay form and he's being paid .51cpm. Seems there is money to be made here. Will post proof whenever I actually start working.

$2000 sign on bonus as well. $500 first check then another $500 every 60 days.

SHOJim and jfred2 Thank this.
  7. jfred2

jfred2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    L.I, N.Y.
    Good stuff man, keep us posted. I'm looking into going there with my wife by the end of the month. She'll be going through the cdl program. Hopefully can get on to the york, pa dedicated route.

8. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    *UPDATE*

So far so good. Picked up a POS truck from a repair shop. 10-speed with 430k miles on it but runs really well. Just the other drivers left it in a state of disgust with food in the fridge. Since it was sitting for a week the batteries died and the food turned all moldy. Put a hazmat placard on it so it's good to roll. All the old dedicated trucks use an outdated Qualcomm with no navigation so be sure to bring an atlas and/or truck gps.

They got me a rental to West Memphis Arkansa to pick up the truck then down to Dallas to pick up my co-driver.

Poor guy been sitting 3 weeks no pay for a co-driver. Picked him up and dead headed to Morton, IL to pick up our first CAT load. Dropped it off in Arvin, CA and am now in Jurupa Valley, CA for a PM at CRSTs terminal.

Much nicer terminal than Cedar Rapids with its own restaurant.

Home time is advertised as 7-10 days out 2 days off but they prefer you to stay out 14 days. Due to the shortage of dedicated drivers if you want to stay at you can but your Home time is still 2/3 days when you go home.

They must be getting a lot of money from CAT since if there is no backhaul for us they will dead head us back to Morton. That's easily 1900+ dead head.

On a side note i70 thru Colorado is off-limits to CRST. They will pay you to bypass Colorado all together. Had us stay on i80 till we hit i15 then cut south from there.

jfred2 Thanks this.
  9. Jagsfan

Jagsfan Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Panama City, Fl
    Wow nothing like that here in Florida. No rental. Greyhound. Also pay .33 here. .38 for me as .05 for military. Lucky you.

10. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    They found paying for a rental was cheaper than getting a Greyhound. Some guys got to fly since it was cheaper for them than bus or car.

11. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Screenshot_20171020-013910.png

Paychecks so far. Got an advance week 2 so thats why its low.

jfred2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.